    it has nice packing.....

    Jason Russell
    Dotcom Computers Ltd

    Dotcom Computers, Jun 25, 2004

  2. TheOne

    Simon G Guest

    You might want to consider taking out some form of indemnity insurance to
    I paid £98 for the year with £1 mil cover.

    If you need the details then remove THESPAMTRAP to reply.

    Cheers
    Simon

    Simon G, Jun 26, 2004

  3. TheOne

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Tesco, Lindy 1.8m USB and 3m Parallel printer cables, 50p in their
    bargain bins recently. Still cheapish now and open 24hrs during the
    week.

    Clint Sharp, Jun 26, 2004
  4. in message ...

    | > PC World very basic unbranded A - B USB cable 1.8m £14.99
    | > Ebuyer very basic unbranded A - B USB cable 1.8m £0.70 + del
    |
    | But the difference is that yoou get a monkey guide to the right cable,
    and
    | it has nice packing.....

    No, I'm talking about the very cheapo cable that PC World have that's
    just in a simple bag with a folded up piece of cardboard over stapled to
    it so they can hang it up on the rack by the checkouts. That way, when
    Mr Joe Public goes in to buy a printer, the checkout assistant can ask
    "Have you got a cable for that sir?" and gesture towards the rack.

    Good marketing policy, or a rip off? You decide.

    STM

    Semach.the.monkey, Jun 26, 2004
  5. TheOne

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    Thats hardly straightforward for someone who doesn't know the OS.

    --
    Alex

    "We are now up against live, hostile targets"

    "So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
    attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

    www.drzoidberg.co.uk
    www.ebayfaq.co.uk

    Dr Zoidberg, Jun 26, 2004
  6. TheOne

    Conor Guest

    Bollox. Win9x could possibly be guilty of this to some level but not NT
    based OSes. Noticed the name dropping of a couple of "newbie" hand
    holding nix distros though to try and convince us you know something
    though.
    Lets face it though, a trained monkey could knock up a PC. Its not
    exactly rocket science. If you can wield a screwdriver you can build a
    PC. Hardly challenging.

    Conor, Jun 26, 2004
  7. TheOne

    Conor Guest

    I used to charge £20 a PC but then again there were 20+ in each office
    and I'd set the first one off themn move off to the second etc, and by
    the time I'd got to the last I just had to go back through them
    shutting them down.

    Conor, Jun 26, 2004
  8. TheOne

    Conor Guest

    ROFLMAO. I'd love you as a customer. Pointless upgrader.

    Conor, Jun 26, 2004
  9. TheOne

    Conor Guest

    The last trade place I tried with any reasonable discount wanted in
    excess of £3000 a month ex VAT of business which I couldn't guarantee
    as most of my money was earned from network supporting rather than PC
    building which is pointless due to its crap margins.

    Conor, Jun 26, 2004
  10. TheOne

    Kevin R Guest

    just get the same monkey to fix it when its broken with an intermitant fault
    thats where the skill is not bolting together working parts

    Kevin R, Jun 26, 2004
  11. TheOne

    Gaz Guest

    What kind of software where you running that automated the process, out if
    interest............

    Gaz

    Gaz, Jun 26, 2004
  12. TheOne

    Tx2 Guest

    ....after doing what?

    Tx2, Jun 26, 2004
  13. in message ...

    | Lets face it though, a trained monkey could knock up a PC. Its not
    | exactly rocket science. If you can wield a screwdriver you can build a
    | PC. Hardly challenging.

    I managed to knock *over* a PC once. And I'm not even trained! [1]

    Semach.the.monkey

    [1] Well, I'm house trained. Almost.

    Semach.the.monkey, Jun 26, 2004
  14. TheOne

    Jon Guest

    Jon, Jun 26, 2004
  15. TheOne

    Jon Guest

    Point taken but see my reply to Tx2
    Cheers
    Jon

    Jon, Jun 26, 2004
  16. TheOne

    Rob Morley Guest

    Rob Morley, Jun 26, 2004
  17. TheOne

    Tx2 Guest

    I can see how much memory i have in the machine in 2 mouse clicks.
    Right click MY Computer, select Properties.

    That's the memory i was on about by the way, how much is installed, not
    in use.

    But in XP, to see memory use, 3 clicks gives me a graphical report on
    usage in Task Manager
    Absolutely. They are alternative OS's, each having good and bad points.
    I would 'love' to get into Linux, but i don't want to trash a perfectly
    good windows install on this machine to do so.

    I have an old IBM Aptiva in the cupboard that i might try it on one day.
    Hence YMMV ....

    Tx2, Jun 26, 2004
  18. TheOne

    Rob Morley Guest

    Dual-boot, or try a live CD version like Knoppix (not used it myself,
    but lots of people seem to think it's wonderful).

    Rob Morley, Jun 26, 2004
  19. TheOne

    Jim Berwick Guest

    ? I think they were pointing out that 1.2 mhz is too slow for anything.

    Jim Berwick, Jun 26, 2004
  20. TheOne

    Toolman Tim Guest

    True. The first IBM PC was 4.77MHz. But I don't think that's exactly what
    they meant...

    On the other hand, 1.2GHz is fine for many, many applications. In fact, at
    the office I have some systems as slow as 233MHz Pentiums - they do what
    they are needed for - why upgrade? It would be (as Conor stated) POINTLESS
    to upgrade.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 26, 2004