    fj Guest

    Sorry, I thought it was just happening in XP.
    As others are indicating, if it's in XP and 98, gotta be hardware.

    fj, Feb 10, 2005

  2. Trent SC

    Gary Guest

    My experience with ECS motherboards suggst you should run, not walk,
    away from them as quickly as possible. They make bottom-feeding boards
    that aren't meant for a good land fill.

    Failing that, reset the bios on the board and even take the battery off
    for ten minutes or so with the computer unplugged. Perhaps there is
    something in the bios. Then check for a bios upgrade and pray that you
    don't foul the eeprom when you update it.

    Gary, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    So what you're saying is maybe he *should* throw the computer out the
    window? Or at least part of it? <g>

    | My experience with ECS motherboards suggst you should run, not walk,
    | away from them as quickly as possible. They make bottom-feeding boards
    | that aren't meant for a good land fill.
    |
    | Failing that, reset the bios on the board and even take the battery off
    | for ten minutes or so with the computer unplugged. Perhaps there is
    | something in the bios. Then check for a bios upgrade and pray that you
    | don't foul the eeprom when you update it.
    |

    | Trent SC wrote:
    | > Bloody computers!
    | >
    | > My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
    | > ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
    | > graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular
    | > 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more
    information?

    | > It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
    | > online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took
    the
    | > opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics card
    and
    | > return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive with a
    | > spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it all
    went
    | > pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384 with a pair
    of
    | > fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
    | >
    | > The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the
    installation of
    | > SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took fine
    | > once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to hang,
    | > most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in Tiles
    view
    | > format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it hung, so I
    just
    | > took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back in before I lost
    it
    | > completely.
    | >
    | > This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new
    hard
    | > drive and new system and application software. The only common factors
    | > which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and processor.
    There

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Discharging the CMOS memory takes only a few microseconds using the
    jumper. Check the mobo manual. But be certain the machine is
    completely unplugged because there is one power supply that does not go
    off when the machine is switched off.

    William W. Plummer, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "ONE" power supply? All ATX power supplies provide a constant voltage to the
    mobo when the computer isn't running, although some have a mechanical switch
    as well, which obviously will shut even that off. Without power to the
    motherboard, the power-on button won't work.

    Besides, if he's poking his hands/tools around inside his case, he'd better
    have the stupid thing unplugged, and be grounded.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005
  6. Trent SC

    Thagor Guest

    Good point Toolman. At least he picked a cheap model to learn his lessons
    on. Fundamentally speaking of course.

    Thagor, Feb 14, 2005
  7. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | |

    | > Besides, if he's poking his hands/tools around inside his case, he'd
    | > better have the stupid thing unplugged, and be grounded.

    snipped

    | Good point Toolman. At least he picked a cheap model to learn his lessons
    | on. Fundamentally speaking of course.

    True - at least if it needs replacing, the only possible way to go is *up*
    ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Feb 14, 2005
  8. Trent SC

    kony Guest

    Some refer to a supply as the particular voltage rail, not
    as the entire physical box of metal. His comment is as
    valid as yours is. Even so, unplugging the system is only
    useful for clearing CMOS, there are quite a few basics (like
    taking voltage readings) that would require system PSU not
    only plugged in but whole box full-"on".

    kony, Feb 14, 2005
  9. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    True. But the discussion at this point was basically only the CMOS clearing.
    I have no qualms about running tests with a powered up system, but I don't
    recommend it to someone who could possibly be a novice.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 14, 2005
  10.
    Almighty.Nebuchadnezzar, Feb 14, 2005
  11. for some reason my first reply doesn't seem to be showing - so here it
    is again.

    I was recently (as in withing the last year) using a PC Chips MB with
    onboard Video - It was constantly freezing - whether I was surfing the
    net - or windows explorer.

    I finally was advised to buy a Video Card (which I did - a 32MB PCI
    card). I installed the card - and from that point on - till I finally
    upgraded to an ASUS MB - I never had the problem occur again.

    Almighty.Nebuchadnezzar, Feb 14, 2005
  12. Trent SC

    Mark Hobley Guest

    Don't throw it out ! I can use it as a Linux machine.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    Email: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

    Mark Hobley, Feb 15, 2005