Computer about to be thrown out of the window

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trent SC, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Matt writes:
    |
    | > How do you say the PSU can't cause lockups?
    |
    | By what mechanism would it cause them? In general, a PSU either
    | provides power or it doesn't.

    'Dirty' power - clipping, fluctuation, etc., of the standard voltages can be
    sufficent to cause problems, especially if the hardware isn't the 'best'
    quality to start with (low tolerances).

    Toolman Tim, Feb 7, 2005

  2. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | kony writes:
    |
    | > On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:58:12 -0000, "Trent SC"
    | >
    | > >Bloody computers!
    | >
    | > Excessive cross-posting, strike 1.
    | >

    | > >My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
    | > >ECS P61WT-A+ board
    | >
    | > Wasting our time on a board that was cheap because it's crap
    | > and prone to problems, strike 2.
    | >

    | > >with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
    | > >graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular
    | > >6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more
    information?

    | > >It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
    | > >online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon,
    | >
    | > Spending $100 on XP (or pirating it) for an old ECS board
    | > that should be in the dumpster, strike 3. Goodbye.
    |
    | A post that consists entirely of personal attacks and contributes
    | nothing to the solution of the problem. Would that be strike 4?

    And did you happen to notice he cross-posted it to all the same groups, even
    though that was one of his complaints? What a maroon <g> (Sorry...I should
    try to be nicer...NOT!)

    Toolman Tim, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Trent SC

    Mac Cool Guest

    kony:
    You've been uncharacteristically pissy lately. Bad times come your way?

    Mac Cool, Feb 7, 2005
  4. Trent SC

    Mac Cool Guest

    Trent SC:
    You're going to have to pull, test or replace those parts to find out what
    the problem is. Here is what I would do, pick out a nice motherboard/cpu
    combo for ~$80-100 and upgrade the system. If by some chance that doesn't
    fix the problem, buy a new Sparkle 350W. The system is do for an upgrade
    and it isn't worth the aggravation, time or expense to replace with the
    same technology.

    Mac Cool, Feb 7, 2005
  5. Trent SC

    Trent© Guest

    You should first learn about the BIOS...and how to tweak it.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Feb 7, 2005
  6. Trent SC

    Trent© Guest

    Could be javascript errors on the sites yer visiting...or program
    errors on some anti-virus or adware program that's kickin' in.
    Did you also switch the IDE cables?...and switch the power lead going
    to the hard drive?
    Same manufacturer? If not, this could easily be a problem. AAMOF,
    its not even a good idea to put in different sizes in most cases.
    Okay...so the original problem is now solved.
    ....a DIFFERENT problem!
    Did the event viewer say anything?

    Try...

    Turn down acceleration for the video.
    Turn off all caching in the BIOS.

    What type of mouse are you usin'?
    They MUST match! Put in 2 of the same size...same manufacturer. Turn
    off error checking in the BIOS.
    Highly unlikely.
    Motherboard BIOS SETTINGS!!...also, jumpers.
    Sounds to me like a flakey IDE cable.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Feb 7, 2005
  7. Trent SC

    Trent© Guest

    Did you use the old power leads...so that you know for sure it was the
    PSU and not a loose connection on the power lead? lol

    Many times the PSU per se is fine. Its just that the connectors make
    poor contact after awhile.

    When you replace the PSU, of course, you solve the problem.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Feb 7, 2005
  8. I hope you have a good source. I'm lucky to live near a retail store
    that carries about 30 different mobos, but I realize that most folks
    don't have that kind of local resource. That's a measure of all of its
    computing-stuff sections; it's a fabulous joint, and IMO the greatest
    toy store south of the North Pole. :) Good luck; I hope that one trip
    to your source fixes your problems. Report back, if you get a chance,
    eh?

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 7, 2005
  9. Oof! I didn't know *that*.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 7, 2005
  10. He's got a Celeron. Refresh my memory, if you will: aren't Celerons
    reduced-L2 (as versus the P from which they derive) CPUs in the first
    place? (Not that the test disablement isn't a worthwhile thing.)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 7, 2005
  11. ["Followup-To:" header set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.] Toolman Tim
    wrote:
    My desktop system's lineage goes back to a February 1990 Zeos (pretty
    large manufacturer at the time) 386SX-16[1]. I've always done my upgrading
    piece(s) by piece(s), so most of the hardware has remained for each
    upgrade.

    [1]2MB RAM (DIP packages, not xIMMs), 35MB HD.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 7, 2005
  12. I presume you're mostly talking about trace/solder connections, but
    "expansion" made me think of the Dreaded Growing Capacitors. Seems like
    that might be something for OP to look for, too; I'd think faulty caps
    would be a good suspect for heat-effect failure. Whaddaya think?

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 7, 2005
  13. If it's an ATX sys, this would be a good time for some upgrading,
    anyway. You can get a newer mobo/BIOS and a noticelably faster CPU
    for probably something like $100 US (I don't remember where you're
    posting from, if it's obvious). Add a bit for faster RAM if you're in
    the mood. Else, just try one item first - mobo or CPU - and see what
    happens. If no joy, return that bit and replace the other; you'll
    probably get off with just one purchase, to the tune of no more than
    $50, if this is to remain a low-end system.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 7, 2005
  14. You *have* reseated *all* of your connectors (except the CPU, which
    reseating would require a whole new installation with thermal compound
    and such), right?

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 7, 2005
  15. ["Followup-To:" header set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.]
    Good point.
    Oof. Lose a fan, fry a CPU?

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 7, 2005
  16. ["Followup-To:" header set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.]
    Hmmm. I can't figure out where else L2 would be. In (much) older CPUs,
    was it once in the chipset rather than the CPU die?

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 7, 2005
  17. Trent SC

    Duane Arnold Guest

    It's just another typical post from a *weak* woman that doesn't have the
    guts to be herself and must hide and do the back alley tactics. You know the
    kind don't you K-Bitch a real piece of alley trash such as yourself a pure
    dog. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 7, 2005
  18. Trent SC

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold, Feb 7, 2005

  19. I'll almost guarantee it's the PSU. They flake out more than most
    people realize, and can cause all sorts of weird problems - hanging,
    spontaneous reboots, etc , non of which are ever reproducible on
    demand. Very frustrating.

    See if you can't swap it out on at least a temporary test basis.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Feb 7, 2005
  20. Trent SC

    Duane Arnold Guest

    It's weak you gut-less *clown*. A cockroach has more guts in its antenna
    than you have in your entire body. ;-)

    Good night K-Fool <g>

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 7, 2005