    failing, just that it might be taking longer to finally give up the ghost.
    It sounds from the general opinion that I need to get a new board &
    processor.

    Trent SC, Feb 6, 2005

  2. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Hi There,
    |
    | I Sympathise with you
    | I've had mine almost 8 years, I keep updating it at a helluva cost
    | and it's getting slower and slower and confusing
    | I have the monitor on the window sill
    | and my good lady has to stop me several times per day from pushing it out
    of
    | the window
    |
    | Alf

    Yeah - I upgraded over and over and eventually had such a mixed up batch of
    parts, I finally started over. But thankfully it wasn't quite bad enough to
    throw out the window - I gave it away.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 6, 2005

  3. Trent SC

    Al Smith Guest

    This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new hard
    I had a computer that would give intermittent problems. An Acer
    P2. Nothing I could do would fix the problem. It was obviously
    hardware, as is true of your situation, but I couldn't find the
    defect. I always figured it must be the power supply or the
    motherboard.

    Al Smith, Feb 6, 2005
  4. Trent SC

    Chris Pound Guest

    I've had that happen with an Enermax 365P PSU. Everything would seem
    fine for a bit then I would get random freezes. It was an a bad PSU. I
    put in a 400w Antec and the problem was solved.

    Chris Pound, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Trent SC

    Matt Guest

    How do you say the PSU can't cause lockups?
    I'm having symptoms similar to those of the OP, and have reason to
    suspect past CPU overheating and/or past power problems. Am leaning
    toward the P4 CPU as the cause.

    Matt, Feb 7, 2005
  6. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    There's only an HSP56 modem on the machine (no NIC) and the machine has
    I don't think it's a CPU issue in my situation, as the problem can sometimes
    happen almost as soon as I've booted up, and I've checked the heatsink
    immediately after a crash and it's been v cool.

    Trent SC, Feb 7, 2005
  7. Trent SC

    Matt Guest

    When it hangs, does it freeze completely, or does the pointer respond to
    mouse movements?

    What happens when you run memtes86 (see www.memtest86.com)?

    My Dell is acting very similar to your computer, and it causes memtest86
    to hang withing 10 seconds.

    Matt, Feb 7, 2005
  8. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation
    No, when it hangs it's utterly dead. The reset switch is the only way to
    get any response at all. I haven't run Memtest, but I have tried several
    others and they've all run clear.

    Trent SC, Feb 7, 2005
  9. Trent SC

    Matt Guest

    Note my use of the word "past".

    Can you test your CPU in another machine or swap in a good CPU?

    Also swap PSUs or at least check voltages with a digital voltmeter.

    ECS mobos are pretty junky. Check onboard capacitors for leaks or bulges.

    Matt, Feb 7, 2005
  10. Trent SC

    Matt Guest

    I've run three memory test programs, and memtest86 is the only one to
    hang or find problems.

    Matt, Feb 7, 2005
  11. Trent SC

    kony Guest

    L2 is on the CPU in this case, not likely to have gone bad
    and if it did the CPU should be tossed out.

    kony, Feb 7, 2005
  12. Trent SC

    kony Guest

    Excessive cross-posting, strike 1.

    Wasting our time on a board that was cheap because it's crap
    and prone to problems, strike 2.

    Spending $100 on XP (or pirating it) for an old ECS board
    that should be in the dumpster, strike 3. Goodbye.

    kony, Feb 7, 2005
  13. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:21:46 -0500, Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor
    |

    | >Try disabling the L2 cache in the BIOS, also. I've seen that go bad
    | >before.
    | >

    | L2 is on the CPU in this case, not likely to have gone bad
    | and if it did the CPU should be tossed out.

    At the cost of that CPU, I'd say get another one and try...
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CEL76617&cat=CPU

    Toolman Tim, Feb 7, 2005
  14. Trent SC

    Star Guest

    To somebody you really hated I would guess. <g>

    Star, Feb 7, 2005
  15. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | >> I can't think of a PSU problem that would abruptly cause the machine to
    | >> freeze. If the fans are running and the disks are turning, the PSU is
    | >> okay. That leaves CPU or motherboard.
    | >
    | > How do you say the PSU can't cause lockups?
    | >>
    | >> Has the machine ever been subject to power surges or overheating?
    | >>
    | >> The last time I had a CPU get sick, it produced exactly this kind of
    | >> mystery freeze-up, along with mysterious segment violations in programs
    | >> that had never shown the slightest trace of bugs before. For a long
    | >> time I thought it was an OS problem or a peripheral problem. But the
    | >> CPU got worse and worse and finally it became obvious that the
    | >> microprocessor had failed. This happened originally because it had
    | >> overheated for an extended period (12 hours at a stretch on multiple
    | >> occasions) because of a CPU fan failure. In the beginning it was a
    real
    | >> mystery.
    | >
    | > I'm having symptoms similar to those of the OP, and have reason to
    suspect
    | > past CPU overheating and/or past power problems. Am leaning toward the
    P4
    | > CPU as the cause.
    |
    | I don't think it's a CPU issue in my situation, as the problem can
    sometimes
    | happen almost as soon as I've booted up, and I've checked the heatsink
    | immediately after a crash and it's been v cool.

    A 'bad' CPU doesn't have to get hot to hang.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 7, 2005
  16. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:32:56 -0800, "Toolman Tim"

    | >|
    | >| I Sympathise with you
    | >| I've had mine almost 8 years, I keep updating it at a helluva cost
    | >| and it's getting slower and slower and confusing
    | >| I have the monitor on the window sill
    | >| and my good lady has to stop me several times per day from pushing it
    out
    | >of
    | >| the window
    | >|
    | >| Alf
    | >|
    | >Yeah - I upgraded over and over and eventually had such a mixed up batch
    of
    | >parts, I finally started over. But thankfully it wasn't quite bad enough
    | >throw out the window - I gave it away.
    | >

    | To somebody you really hated I would guess. <g

    Actually, I pulled out any 'frustrating' hardware, reinstalled Windows, and
    gave it to my mom. At least she won't have to pay for support ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Feb 7, 2005
  17. Trent SC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:58:12 -0000, "Trent SC"
    |
    | >Bloody computers!
    |
    | Excessive cross-posting, strike 1.

    Excessively snitty - strike one.

    | >My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
    | >ECS P61WT-A+ board
    |
    | Wasting our time on a board that was cheap because it's crap
    | and prone to problems, strike 2.

    Failing to understand the value of assisting a friend with a problem -
    strike two.

    | | >with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
    | >graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
    | >6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more
    information?

    | >It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
    | >online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon,
    |
    | Spending $100 on XP (or pirating it) for an old ECS board
    | that should be in the dumpster, strike 3. Goodbye.

    You'd spend $100 on XP? That *IS* dumb. Strike three...

    Toolman Tim, Feb 7, 2005
  18. Trent SC

    Mxsmanic Guest

    By what mechanism would it cause them? In general, a PSU either
    provides power or it doesn't.

    Mxsmanic, Feb 7, 2005
  19. Trent SC

    Mxsmanic Guest

    A previous episode of overheating could permanently damage the CPU,
    causing it to fail intermittently even at normal temperatures.

    I think Intel CPUs might have protection against this, though (the AMD
    processor on my late server certainly didn't).

    Mxsmanic, Feb 7, 2005
  20. Trent SC

    Mxsmanic Guest

    A post that consists entirely of personal attacks and contributes
    nothing to the solution of the problem. Would that be strike 4?

    Mxsmanic, Feb 7, 2005