    2003 Security+ Qualification ?

    Is there any benefit doing this one or the MS exam for security ?

    Thanks

    john, Oct 4, 2003

  2. john

    MCSE World Guest

    MCSE World, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Security+ counts towards both MCSA:Security and MCSE:Security.

    I'd take the Security+ route, because you get another security-related cert
    (and a permanent one, too) under your belt for just roughly $100 more than
    what you'd pay to sit for the MS test. Also, Security+ counts as a year of
    work-related experience towards another security cert exam's prerequisites,
    but I can't remember which off the top of my head.. for some reason I want
    to say it's for ISC2's exams.

    If I'm not mistaken, Security+ also counts as an elective towards just a
    regular MCSA or MCSE.

    Alot of people bash CompTIA certs, but apparently Microsoft thinks it's good
    enough, so go for Security+ if you can spare the extra $100.

    --Donald

    Donald Jacobsen, Oct 4, 2003
  4. john

    James Lin Guest

    Hi John, I agree with Donald but would also add the
    Security+ should be considered a stepping stone to more
    advanced security certs. Personnally I'm aiming for CISSP
    to go along with other certs (eventually a MCSE:Security,
    I hope!). I found the Security+ exam straight forward
    (and it also helped that at work I was on a team working
    on a security related project). But if you are serious
    about security I would recommend delving deeply into each
    of the security domains beyond the five touched upon by
    CompTIA.

    (Try to find as many of these in your local libraries, so
    it doesn't have to co$t)
    Besides the Sybex book I would recommend:
    For a high level security overview:
    Inside the Security Mind, Kevin Day
    For the attack side of things:
    Hacking Exposed, 4th Ed, Stuart McClure, et.al.
    For an intro to crypto:
    Cryptography Decrypted, H.X. Mel, et.al.
    And for coverage on all 10 Security Domains:
    CISSP, All in One, Shon Harris
    and
    CISSP Prep Guide, Gold Ed., Ronald L. Kurtz

    I found these books really helped to supplement and
    expand my understanding (as the domains interrelate) so
    the Security+ exam wasn't too bad. And BTW Good Luck!

    James Lin, Oct 5, 2003