    goal? if not is there some way to get several files on one dvd? My obvious
    problem is that I have several hundred dvd's and am running out of storage
    space. Thank you for any helpful input.

    subscriber, May 30, 2005

  2. If they're already in a compressed format, zipping them may very well
    make the product larger than what it was when you began. Try it, and
    compare pre- and post-zip file sizes.

    Blinky the Shark, May 30, 2005

  3. This Plextor product will enable up ten hours of DivX video on a DVD:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?U20A11A2B
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814144502

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 30, 2005
  4. subscriber

    gangle Guest

    All multimedia files are already compressed. The only way to
    make a movie file smaller is to RE-ENCODE it in a way that will
    take less MB -- BUT, in most cases, this will result in an obvious
    reduction in quality -- sometimes minor, sometimes major.
    For example, if you have a SVCD movie, it will, by its nature,
    be an MPG file(s) that take up 20 MB per minute. You could
    turn it into a VCD type of MPG, taking up 10 MB per minute,
    but the reduction in quality will be very obvious. If you converted the
    SVCD to an XviD-compressed AVI, it might end up at about
    13 MB per minute, with a more minor loss of quality, but, where
    the SVCD might have been playable on a most standalone
    DVD players, the AVI will not. If some/all the movies are
    already AVIs, compressed with XviD, DivX, or some other
    codec, they could be re-encoded at a lower bitrate, thus
    making the files smaller, but they will definitely look worse.

    In short, you can't get 10 lbs. of shit in a 5-lb. bag.

    gangle, May 30, 2005
  5. You can if you compress it, but the results look like shit.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 30, 2005
  6. subscriber

    subscriber Guest

    thank you for that info. It is imperative that the quality of the film
    remain in its present form. I will not re-encode.

    subscriber, May 30, 2005
  7. subscriber

    subscriber Guest

    Thank you.
    I did zip a trial version and managed to save about 20%
    of space. This will give me a temporary solution until I can come up with
    something better. I have a very large University that is willing to store
    them for me but my access will be severely hampered and that is not a good
    thing.

    subscriber, May 30, 2005
  8. subscriber

    subscriber Guest

    Have not had time to look into this but looks promising. Thank you

    subscriber, May 30, 2005
  9. subscriber

    subscriber Guest

    Unacceptable, thanks.

    subscriber, May 30, 2005
  10. subscriber

    Mike Easter Guest

    Strange that you would start this thread and then comment several times
    without ever saying what the original format and bitrate is.

    Mike Easter, May 30, 2005
  11. subscriber

    me Guest

    How did you get films from outer space? Did the aliens bring them to you ?

    me, Jun 3, 2005
  12. subscriber

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Now that is silly. Everyone knows you have to put up a really, really,
    really tall antenna, and use a DVD recorder.

    Oldus Fartus, Jun 3, 2005
  13. subscriber

    old jon Guest

    old jon, Jun 3, 2005