    and also a GF4 MX460, both with a S-Video socket, and also the 5200 has
    a DVI connector.

    Thanks :)

    frog, Sep 11, 2005

  2. frog

    SteveM Guest

    My Geforce 6600GT is supposed to be able to output component with an
    (optional) adaptor cable.
    I would suggest upgrading to an entry level modern Geforce or Radeon
    video card with the component adaptor.

    Otherwise a scan converter box is what you need.
    See: http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3010&sku=40226
    (This would be the more expensive option though)

    SteveM

    SteveM, Sep 11, 2005

  3. frog

    shannon Guest

    This may be relevant
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/analog_component_out.html

    shannon, Sep 11, 2005
  4. frog

    frog Guest

    Just looking at that now... looks good.. The reason I am not too keen
    on buying a new vid card for the box is because I am looking at a
    6600GT for my main computer, and that will soak up the vast majority of
    the budget and then some ( yeah, I dont have much spare! )

    frog, Sep 11, 2005
  5. frog

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Yes the Bland Colours, A few years back I stumbled on TV2000 a program
    that alows full screen as brodcast. The best side affect is that the
    colours and font readibility improved 100%. I am using a Nvadia TNTII
    the last install of XP pro and Nvidia drivers ment I had to pay for the
    TVtool program :( and not use the free one which has been discontinued.
    the other cool thing if your current moneter can handle it 800x600 at
    50Hz then you can watch with two screens.

    http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm

    Robert Cooze, Sep 11, 2005
  6. frog

    Daniel Guest

    I have a Matrox G450, and it easily has the best TV-out quality of any
    graphics card I've ever owned or seen hands down.

    The quality is basically the same as a standalone DVD player (just need
    to remember to set the desktop to 32-bit colour - keeps forgetting that
    setting for some reason?).

    I understand that both the Matrox G400 and G550 also have excellent
    TV-out quality.

    However, you'll also need a Matrox TV-out cable which has a VGA male
    connector on one end and S-Video out and composite/RCA out on the other
    (downside is that the cables alone sell for about $50 new - best bet
    might be to buy a card + cable on TradeMe, if you can find one of course).

    Go to google groups and search on "matrox G450" and you'll get an idea.

    Daniel, Sep 11, 2005
  7. frog

    XP Guest

    Read the Headline it does state Component video output, I do not thing Any
    Matrox cards can do that.

    XP, Sep 12, 2005
  8. frog

    Daniel Guest

    Interesting.

    When you say it allows full screen as broadcast, what do you mean exactly?

    I'd be interested in giving this program a whirl if it can produce very
    good results (i.e it can play DVD's on TV as well as my DVD player).

    Cheers.

    Daniel, Sep 12, 2005
  9. frog

    frog Guest

    Yes, While I appreciate most peoples suggestions, most dont actually
    point me to something that will do _component_ ( Y/Pb/Pr ) as Im pretty
    damn sure that is the only decent way to get progressive scan at HDTV
    res on my TV ( in fact, I think that its the only way to get either
    Progressive or HDTV )Its a Philips HD Matchline 32" just out of
    interest, and yes, it definitly is capable of at least 720p and I
    believe 1080p too.

    The manual is of little help, only pointing me in the direction of
    needing component to run HDTV via either RCA jacks or SCART.
    The 15 pin D-Sub connector would be great if it actually worked - and
    yes, it is connected to the image processing board in the TV, but I
    cant seam to get anything to display when plugging the computer in
    direct. Someone told me that its for service work, but why on earth use
    a 15 pin D-Sub connector for that???

    I see that there are component dongles avaliable for both ATI and
    Nvidia cards, but at a cost ( a rather high one too ) and they all
    appear to be an S Video -> component converter - now someone may know
    better, but I cant see how that is going to give me any better image
    quality than standard S video. Prehaps they use a different pin out or
    have extra pins for the extra connectors? Anyone?

    Thanks :)
    Frog

    frog, Sep 12, 2005
  10. frog

    SteveM Guest

    Yes the Svideo plug on the Video card has a number of extra pins that carry
    the component signal.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Sep 12, 2005
  11. frog

    Robert Cooze Guest

    what I mean is on a normal CRT tv there is some immage arround the edge
    that does not get displayed. It makes the out put from the computer do
    exactly the same, when you use the tv out option on the nvidia driver
    you get a nice black border arrond the screen youre trying to wacth. I
    belive newer cards are much better and the big black border is shrinking.

    the program that you can down load works in demo mode for 15mins then it
    stops working. but it should let you see how well it works.

    Robert Cooze, Sep 12, 2005
  12. frog

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Na my Amiga 1200 was exlent and I had RGB on scart so It pluged into my
    Scart tv!

    Robert Cooze, Sep 12, 2005
  13. frog

    big cat Guest

    My Leadtek GF 6600GT AGP does Component video output and comes with the
    Component video cable..

    Not All cards come with the cable.

    No its just a cable, but it does use the Mini Din socket with extra pins, its
    not a standard S-Video socket at all.

    S-Video Mini Din socket comes with 4 Pins, my GF card has 10 Pin Mini Din
    socket.

    Yes they do, 10 pins in my case.

    So check that the board you get comes with a cable about 70% do.

    Check Google for Reviews.

    big cat, Sep 12, 2005
  14. frog

    big cat Guest

    Its NOT a S-Video Plug its a MiNi Din one..

    big cat, Sep 12, 2005
  15. frog

    Richard Guest

    I would like the same, as my TV has a horrid delay when its deinterlacing and it
    makes games on the PS2 unplayable, xbox is fine with the HDTV pack either at
    1080i or 480p since the tv does no processing in those modes.

    The PC has lag on the svideo, hard to mouse onto things as you always overshoot
    with the delay.

    Richard, Sep 12, 2005
  16. frog

    Daniel Guest

    You're quite right - my apologies :)

    Most interesting thread btw.

    Daniel, Sep 12, 2005
  17. frog

    Daniel Guest

    Curious. What do you think of the image quality?

    Daniel, Sep 12, 2005
  18. frog

    big cat Guest

    Don't know as I do not use it..

    big cat, Sep 13, 2005
  19. frog

    JohnO Guest

    Hey Woger - I need one of those cables - wanna sell it?

    JohnO, Sep 13, 2005
  20. frog

    big cat Guest

    Get the Shop to provide you one, as a friend here had a similar problem, it
    was left out of the box..

    And I might need mine one day..

    big cat, Sep 13, 2005