Completely unable to access my shared folder :(

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by King-Panda219, Jul 15, 2006.

1. King-Panda219

King-Panda219

First off, I'd like to say I already looked for a similar problem on here to reduce the chance of a repost, but I couldn't find any. My apologies if I missed it.

I have a simple network set up, two desktops through wired, one through wireless, and a wireless laptop. A friend brought over his computer and took the cat5 from one of the desktops and ran it to his. he wasn't showing up on the network, and for the life of me I couldn't remember where you go to change the workgroup name (still can't remember). What I did find though was under My Network Places on the right was a wizard named "Setup a Home or Small Office Network". Running through the wizard allowed me to change the workgroup name, but oddly they were both set to MSHOME so I wasn't sure why he wasn't showing up. after I ran the wizard on mine (the other wired desktop, the two wirelss dont come into play), I lost all access to MY shared folder, and I either get the "\\NICK\SharedDocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this resource Contact the admin etc etc., the network path was not found.", or I get "Cannot move (whatever): access is denied."

I first made sure I was still an administrator account, which I was. I made a new one anyways, but it still didnt have permission. Next, I tried accessing it from his computer; I still wasnt showing up. I then tried safe mode, and used the safe mode admin account, which let me actually into the folder, but I still dont have rights to move the files, only read them (which I just found out a second ago). after doing that, I can now read the files in my shared folder from my normal non-safe mode admin account, but I still dont have permissiont to move/change them. Any input is highly appreciated.

King-Panda219, Jul 15, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question