completely bewildered by connection

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Trevor Wright, Dec 31, 2007.

  1. A few weeks ago my Belkin wireless modem router stopped working and I
    replaced it with another identical machine. It worked, but, though it
    reported a higher download speed, it was almost useless with streaming
    video. This had not been the case with the old router.

    I reverted to the old Speedtouch ADSL modem which Demon gave me years
    ago. No problems, and a much higher reported speed. But of course no
    network.

    So I bought a new Netgear wireless modem router and got it connected
    today. It reports the slowest speed of the lot, and the web is unusable.

    What is going wrong?

    The (USB) modem is about 1.7 mbps.

    The old dead Belkin reported about 1000 kbps but worked fine, including
    streaming video (eg Youtube).

    The replacement Belkin reported 1.5 mbps but wouldn't run streaming
    video as well as the old dead one.

    And the brand new Netgear reports around 500 kbps and is useless.

    I'm also getting occasional line drops with all of them (which didn't
    happen before).

    I'm not much good at this sort of thing. I can't see why they all
    perform so differently. Extremely grateful for any suggestions.

    Trevor Wright, Dec 31, 2007

  2. Not sure what netgear router you have but found this on the demon
    website, settings for their router:

    I would begin by setting VPI to zero, VCI to 38, PROTOCOL to PPPoA and
    if the netgear has the ability to accept the rest of the settings then
    add them as per instructions.

    www.demon.net/helpdesk/producthelp/hardware/adsl/solosetting.html

    If that does not improve the speed you get, then it may be the phone
    wiring in your house, try connecting the router direct to the master
    phone socket, remove any extensions you have for your phones if any and
    do a speed test.

    Modem/Router setup information
    ------------------------------
    This information is intended as a guide to assist customers with
    configuration details that may be required by your ADSL equipment.

    Please note, although this information is believed to be correct, we
    cannot directly support the use of any other hardware except that
    provided by Demon Internet Ltd.

    VPI setting 0 (zero)

    VCI setting 38

    Connection pipe As specified in your welcome pack
    e.g. anchor-r26a.demonadsl.co.uk

    Protocol type PPPoA
    (also known as RFC 2364 in some equipment)

    Authentication type CHAP

    Traffic type UBR

    Framing VC/MUX

    Mode ITU G.dmt

    Dial-up number Enter any number
    For Fujitsu or Westell modems, please enter 0,38

    IP address As specified in your welcome pack

    WAN or external address

    Enter your IP address if required WAN or external subnet mask

    255.255.255.255 or 255.255.255.0

    mart-on-linux, Dec 31, 2007

  3. Use Netgear DG834 all the time for us and customers. The kids certainly
    do their share of video streaming.

    If by Netgear reporting you mean from the router status webpage

    E.g.
    ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.00
    Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 3872 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 832 kbps
    VPI 0
    VCI 38

    this is a good measure of the physical link speed. You may well find
    that it changes and will go up if the unit is disconnected for 10
    minutes and then reconnected. If not try changing the filter, plugging
    the router into the "master socket" and unplugging every thing else and
    seeing what happens.

    Assuming that the Netgear is configured correctly (tends not to work at
    all if not), how are the machines using video streaming connected.

    If it is by WiFi. If you do a scan, do you pick up other base units on
    your channel? Try changing the channel you using anyway.

    Don

    Donald Campbell, Jan 1, 2008
  4. Thanks for these responses.

    What I can't understand is why the Speedtouch (USB) Modem connects at
    about 1.7 (apparently) and functions very well in terms of web,
    streaming video etc, whereas the routers (connected by ethernet) are
    almost useless.

    This isn't really a network question. It's an Internet question. All
    I'm trying to do is get a decent Internet connection through a router,
    using my PC ethernet port. Nothing wireless here.

    And until a couple of weeks ago (for a couple of years) I had no
    problems.

    Trevor Wright, Jan 1, 2008
  5. Trevor Wright

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Wifi can be very touchy as so much is using the 2.4mhz range now. Try
    changing the channel as the Netgear might be conflicting with a neighbour.

    Keep the wifi away from any large metal objects or large water
    containers (Radiators are both) as this can affect the signal.

    My microwave (When being used)affects the wifi badly.

    The reported speed can be misleading, if there are a lot of errors then
    the packets have to be downloaded again so effectively it slows the
    connection.

    I once had a problem with intermittent connections, tried alternative
    routers, filters, relaced the phone wiring, changed ISP. It turned out
    to be the cable that connected the router to the phone line.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Jan 4, 2008