Compared: dual-core x64 CPUs...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Randy, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. Randy

    Randy Guest

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/index.html (updated 06/24/05)

    A few points worth noting [with my anotations]:

    "When multiple applications are running, the clear conclusion is that the
    Intel Pentium 840 Extreme Edition is superior to the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+.
    This result attained by Intel's dual-core processor is particularly
    attributable to hyperthreading (HT) - the division of the two cores into
    four virtual CPU units."

    "We got a different picture, however, when we ran single applications on
    each system. Here, the AMD system performed distinctly better (by just about
    30% on average) compared to the Intel system."

    "With our tests so far, it seems that hyperthreading is better than having
    separate CPUs at distributing and balancing the load on the overall
    processor(s)."

    [I'd like to see the comparable results for Xeon v. Opteron...]

    "Stability is an important topic for professional-level situations, and
    there were some surprises in this respect: with the Intel system, three
    motherboards with the nForce SLI chipset turned out to be problematic. There
    were several crashes, and in one case the voltage regulator even burned out.

    The only thing that could help stabilize the system was to combine the Intel
    CPU with the Intel chipset, which then of course rules out a SLI graphics
    configuration."

    [And thus (at least part of) AMD's gaming dominance.]

    "AMD uses up to 30% less energy than its competitor, which is supported by
    our extensive investigations."

    "AMD's dual core systems are more reliable at this point in time, at least
    when we put the final AMD product up against the pre-release Intel products
    that we used."

    -----------

    Both are still *way* too expensive for my taste just yet. Just give me a
    dual Xeon (single core).

    I have to say the AMD's stability impresses me, but then the Intel wasn't a
    true production chip. What surprises me is the AMD's lack of strength in
    multitasking, which is the reason I'd want a dual-core to begin with. And
    I'm surprised hyperthreading would be better at multitasking than two true
    CPUs (or two cores on one processor).

    Overall, for multitasking business apps and video conversions, I'm sticking
    to my guns with an all-Intel system. But if I were a gamer, I'd stick with a
    single-core Athlon.

    Toms chooses Intel for business as well (without a strong reason why
    vis-a-vis the test results), but considering the costs savings initially and
    with electrical use, I might lean toward using AMDs in an office setting
    instead, except in situations where multi-tasking is the dominant use.

    Pretty good article, a definite must-read.

    Randy, Jun 25, 2005

  2. That article makes a good read but Im still baffled how they conclude that
    the Intel would be the best choice for business AFTER declaring that it uses
    more power, is unstable in some motherboards and is 30% slower at individual
    tasks. If I were in charge of purchasing I'd be filling the offices with AMD
    X2's based on those key points.

    Andy Stubbs [383037], Jun 25, 2005

  3. As a bit of a gamer I also found this quote rather interesting.. 'In our Far
    Cry tests, the AMD system with a single Nvidia graphics card still beat the
    frame rates posted by the Intel system with dual SLI cards'

    Those SLI mobo's and cards aren't cheap so the money I will save buy only
    buying one card will go towards buying a bigger processor <bg>.

    Andy Stubbs [383037], Jun 25, 2005
  4. Randy

    John Barnes Guest

    http://www.ocworkbench.com/2005/articles/dualcore/p1.htm

    John Barnes, Jun 25, 2005
  5. Randy

    SteveL Guest

    And AMD thinks the single core FX processors are better for gaming.

    I still plan to buy a 4400 later this week....

    SteveL, Jun 25, 2005