    http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/compare.jpg

    It needs to be viewed at 100%.

    Mike Engles

    Mike Engles, Nov 2, 2003

  2. Mike Engles

    Ron Andrews Guest

    Yes, the Sigma holds up well, but it appears to have more sharpening.

    Ron Andrews, Nov 2, 2003

  3. Mike Engles

    Mike Engles Guest

    Hello

    I did no correction after resize.

    Mike Engles

    Mike Engles, Nov 2, 2003
  4. Mike Engles

    Marli Guest

    The sensor in the sigma will/should always be sharper straight out of the
    camera.

    Marli, Nov 2, 2003
  5. This was NOT the EOS 1D - it was the 1Ds.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 2, 2003
  6. Mike Engles

    Mike Engles Guest

    Hello

    OK it was the 11Mp camera.I missed out the (s)

    Mike Engles

    Mike Engles, Nov 2, 2003
  7. Mike Engles

    Flux Guest

    'Holds up well'??!?!?

    Sure, it's not a mess like a consumer camera would make, but there is a very
    noticeable difference between those two shots.

    The Canon shot has near-perfect definition, with no noticeable fringing or
    artifacts.
    The Sigma shot has purple and red halos, and the definition is much lower -
    just look at the the edges of the stripes, and the (lack of) definition on
    the curved numbers.

    Though the OP stated that the Sigma shot has no sharpening, the halos may be
    a result of the resizing, which can introduce some sharpening.

    But this is not a fair comparison anyway, the 1Ds is in a different league
    from the Sigma, and the target favours Bayer sensors over the Foveon anyway.
    A fair comparison would be between the Sigma and the 300D/10D, with a
    multicoloured target/chart.

    Flux

    Flux, Nov 2, 2003
  8. Mike Engles

    Ray Fischer Guest

    It does. The problem is that you're not just buying a sensor. You're
    buying a camera. And Canon makes much better cameras than does Sigma.

    Ray Fischer, Nov 2, 2003
  9. Mike Engles

    Mike Engles Guest

    Hello

    Here is a link to such a comparison as well as other DSLRs.

    http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/compare2.jpg

    No sharpening , All resized to Canon 1Ds 4064 pixel wide.
    View at 100%

    Mike Engles

    Mike Engles, Nov 3, 2003
  10. Mike Engles

    Azzz1588 Guest

    Dont know about you, but I dont go around photographing
    target charts with my camera (s)

    I actually take pictures of things in real life !

    Azzz1588, Nov 3, 2003
  11. Mike Engles

    Mike Engles Guest

    Hello

    As the say

    "Every picture tells a story"

    Mike Engles

    Mike Engles, Nov 3, 2003
  12. Mike Engles

    Bob Niland Guest

    Yes, but Real Life(TM) sometimes includes
    product, document and other technical imaging
    for which you need to know the limitations of
    your sensor.

    Sigma/Fovy 10Mp claims are on the edge of fraud, but
    they are bringing some attention to the differences
    between sensor technologies. Anyone whose digital
    imaging experience has heretofore been 36-bit
    coincident beam-splitter flatbed scanners is apt
    to assume that digital still cameras work sort of
    the same way. They don't.

    I was looking at the 645 digibacks on Kodak's site
    yesterday, and was not terribly surprised that EK
    won't even admit that the "16Mp" sensor is a Bayer.
    Anyone using it for fashion photography of B&W
    geometric fabric patterns really needs to know
    that (and then mount the AA filter for such shots).

    The effective "Mp" of a Bayer is subject-dependent.
    The advertised "Mp" is like an audio "watt" - it
    all depends on how you define "define".

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
    personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
    employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

    Bob Niland, Nov 3, 2003