    FOR7b Guest

    Readwhat I wrote. I will quote it again: "To give that advice to someone
    Did it occur to you that I was not replying to him?

    FOR7b, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Laurence Koster

    Ron Hunter Guest

    On the other hand, one must evaluate a number of different factors in
    choosing a new camera, and the cost is certainly a factor for most of
    us. If a new camera means buying new memory cards, this is definitely a
    factor to consider, and the more one has invested in a certain type of
    card, then the more significant that factor will become. Also, when the
    particular memory card is rather limited in size and the camera one has
    in mind uses large chunks of memory (up to 11 meg for a .TIFF for
    instance), a memory card format with a rather small limit is certainly a
    significant negative, at least for ME.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 30, 2003

  3. It's not for saving face. It's for keeping currrent the existing
    customer base happy and willing to buy more Sony products.

    It costs them very little to keep the Memory Stick slot,
    plus it enables them to claim a higher total storage capacity.

    A couple of generations down the road they will quietly drom
    the Memory Stick slot, but by then Flash memory will be
    cheap enough that no one will care that much.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Laurence Koster

    fruitbat Guest

    You're right, I misread that part. My apologies. To be fair, though,
    the OP was asking specifically about advantages to different media
    types, and didn't mention image quality as the only priority...

    Jeff

    fruitbat, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Konica/Minolta has one model that uses MS and SD.
    I think that they did it to attract Sony customers that
    have a stash of Memory Stick.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 30, 2003
  6. I can still buy 8" floppy diskettes too.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 30, 2003
  7. Well-stated. By going digital you already admit that image quality is
    less important than other factors. After that it's a matter of choosing
    a camera with the features that are most important to you.

    I would never consider any of the current Sony digital cameras for
    reasons that have nothing to do with storage media type, because
    I have no interest in an SLR-like camera. I want an ultra compact,
    a compact and an SLR camera, none of which Sony does particularly
    well, if at all. If I wanted an SLR-like camera then Sony would be
    a consideration.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 30, 2003
  8. Sony knows that Memory Stick was costing them a lot of sales,
    so they took appropriate steps to resolve the issue without offending
    their existing customer base. Very smart.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 30, 2003
  9. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    The cost of typical sizes is neglible at best. Just price them in any of
    Using say a 5 megapixel camera as an example producing an average of 2 meg
    ..jpgs and if you were to buy 2 sticks of 256MB that would give you roughly 256
    images which if you were to compare to 35mm film cartridges of 36 exposure
    would give you around 7 rolls worth of pictures. The diference using your
    example prices would be around $50. $50 for me, considering the initial
    investment in that class of camera, is very "negligible" (excuse original
    typo).

    Personally for me for a 5 megapixel camera with the two 256MB cards would
    probably be enough for any typical shooting session. If I were to be traveling
    I would have a much larger external storage device anyway.

    FOR7b, Oct 30, 2003
  10. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    I think a lot of people here have lost track of the point.
    And two sides have given their opinions.

    FOR7b, Oct 30, 2003
  11. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    On the other hand, one must evaluate a number of different factors in

    Sure of course a personal budget will ultimately decide what one can afford or
    not. If there is no prior investment in a particular card then it isn't a
    factor at all. If one is invested in a certain type of card other than Memory
    Stick then ask yourself how much of a factor that is when it has already been
    shown that CF, for example, is cheaper than Memory Stick? When you consider
    that your existing media can be sold, like any other photo gear, that it is not
    expensive as has already been shown, and the initial costs one has to pay for a
    decent digicam, is it really a factor when it could mean the difference between
    getting a camera with better features and better image quality?

    Using .tif will obviously limit storage space and that would have to be
    considered. For me though buying a couple of extra cards in such a situation
    would not be a factor for a better camera and better image quality.

    FOR7b, Oct 30, 2003
  12. Laurence Koster

    NJH Guest

    I know, and it baffles me why Konica did that. It's sort of like making a
    35mm camera that also takes 127 film. ;-)

    Possibly, but it still seems strange to me. I'm wondering whether Sony
    offered Konica some sort of incentive to do that to promote the Memory Stick
    as more of a "standard."

    Neil

    NJH, Oct 30, 2003
  13. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    Readwhat I wrote. I will quote it again: "To give that advice to someone

    Very much appreciated these days. Thank you.

    You also have to consider that if a person chooses a camera over another,
    mainly or because of media type, then there is a potential lost of better image
    quality and/or features of another camera. When speaking of advantages and
    disadvantages of a particular media type that needs to be mentioned, especially
    when many are quick to dismiss Memory Stick and in effect the cameras
    themselves. Considering the many excellent cameras that Sony makes that would
    be shame for someone new to digital photography, especially those who care
    about getting the best features and image quality in a camera.

    FOR7b, Oct 30, 2003
  14. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    But Memory Sticks are going to be pretty useless for
    Makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if a camera comes out supporting more then
    2 types.

    FOR7b, Oct 30, 2003
  15. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    Why does it baffle you? The explanation is that Sony has a huge market share in
    digicams. Why wouldn't a competitor stick in a Memory Stick slot to try steal
    customers away?

    It is all about making money and companies will do what they need to do to
    make money.

    FOR7b, Oct 30, 2003
  16. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    If your _only_ concern is the quality of the image why do you have a

    Actually it is a poor comparison. When I replied to him I said why stop there,
    why not large format cameras? The discussion is about using a digital camera
    and not a debate of the merits of the different formats image quality but the
    image quality between digicams. Using that kind of reasoning I would just say
    the heck with it I will no longer take any pictures because my eyes can do
    better job than any camera.

    Sony doesn't do compacts well? Interesting. Most reviewers and many digicam
    owners would disagree.

    FOR7b, Oct 30, 2003
  17. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    and on the 8th day, the the SONY Chairman said let there be the 828.... I
    And how do you know it was "costing them a lot of sales?" Many keep saying this
    and yet there is still no proof to show this?

    FOR7b, Oct 30, 2003
  18. Laurence Koster

    NJH Guest

    Olympus has already done that with the C-5050, which has been out for a
    while. It takes CompactFlash (including Type II and Microdrive), SmartMedia
    and xD-Picture cards. Of those, of course CompactFlash is the still current
    standard (though not previously used by Olympus), SmartMedia clearly is for
    existing Olympus users who are likely to have such cards, and xD is the new
    card jointly developed by Olympus and Fuji to replace SmartMedia (and not
    used by any other maker as far as I know).

    THAT makes sense, except for the dubious wisdom of bringing out xD (Yet
    Another Proprietary Memory Card) in the first place.

    Neil

    NJH, Oct 30, 2003
  19. I presume that they are going after Sony customers. The G500
    is an awesome ultra-compact. Expensive in Asia as the Konica
    Revio 510z, cheap in the U.S. under the Minolta brand.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 30, 2003
  20. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    But Memory Sticks are going to be pretty useless for
    Hey why not also have a wearable storage device device that holds 200 Gigs that
    plugs into the camera. No swapping needed for media to storage. Or, in the
    future have the cameras have a highspeed link to the internet and/or your home
    computer and have equally huge amounts of storage. :)

    FOR7b, Oct 30, 2003