    There was also a sub 3.5" floppy drive that Sony tried to get adopted as the
    replacement for the 5.25" floppy, but I don't know if they actually ever
    sold any.

    Steven M. Scharf, Nov 1, 2003

  2. I don't know about that. I'm considering the G500 for an
    ultra-compact because in terms of ultra-compacts the
    image quality is better than that of the CF Canon S400,
    and is in fact the best image quality of any ultra- compact.
    The fact that they put a Memory Stick slot on there is
    immaterial to me. I'll never use it, but it's not hurting me.
    I'm just waiting to see if Canon comes out with a 5Mp
    digital Elph/Ixus that is as good as the Konica/Minolta,
    and that uses compact flash.

    Steven M. Scharf, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Sony doesn't do compacts well? Interesting. Most reviewers and many
    Until the DSC-V1, Sony was not a competitor in the enthusiast market.
    Yet even the DSC-V1 just has too many issues to be considered by
    enthusiasts. It's a good start, and hopefully Sony will correct these
    flaws in the DSC-V2.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv1/page18.asp

    The new DSC-P10 does compare favorably against the Konica
    510z/Minolta Dimage G500, but again, Sony omits a key feature,
    especially important in high mega-pixel cameras, ISO-50.

    I'd choose the Konica both for the image quality, the ISO-50
    capability and for the ability to use SD cards, and its also less
    expensive. Maybe Konica put MS capability into this camera
    because they wanted to eliminate any reason for buyers to choose
    the DSC-P10.

    Steven M. Scharf, Nov 1, 2003
  4. With my PDA I can insert a CF or SD card and use the 802.11
    to send files, pictures, whatever, on-line, anywhere there's an 802.11
    signal that I can use. There are a lot of free 802.11 networks around
    Silicon Valley.

    For off-line, there is always the SmartDisk FlashTrax if you are using
    Compact Flash:

    http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/DigitalMultimedia/FlashTrax.asp

    and they have optional adapters for other media types.

    A cheaper solution is the X-Drive

    http://store.yahoo.com/shoptronics/xsdriv6incar.html

    Just add a notebook hard drive.

    Steven M. Scharf, Nov 1, 2003
  5. Laurence Koster

    George Kerby Guest

    You keep that up and pretty soon you'll be talking to yourself!

    George Kerby, Nov 1, 2003
  6. Laurence Koster

    Junque Guest

    Amstrad used them in their CPC range of CPM86 machines.

    Junque, Nov 1, 2003
  7. Laurence Koster

    Abrasha Guest

    Sure you do, yuo just can't help yourself, can you?
    As I said before; promises, promises. Sure you will, ... when Hell freezes
    over. You're just too damned curious, and don't want to miss a chance to
    "defend" yourself against the right wing racist that I am.
    "... you're not any special"? PH.D. my ass!

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Nov 2, 2003
  8. Laurence Koster

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    I am plonking you, right now, but I had to complete
    destroy your credibility and prove that your allegations
    were as phony as your jewels.
    Very soon. That's the same the other nuts that are in
    my killfile said. And they've been in my killfile for
    days.
    Still waiting for your "corrections" on my English
    composition, Dutch...
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
    What a moron.

    PLONK

    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 2, 2003
  9. Laurence Koster

    NJH Guest

    Better than the F300? I would be surprised if that were true. Perhaps the
    F300 doesn't fit in the *ultra* compact class, but that seems to me to be a
    tough call if you consider the G500 an ultracompact. The F300 is about 2/3
    inch longer than the G500 and 1/8 inch thicker but 1/8 inch lower. It's 3/5
    ounce lighter than the G500, both cameras empty.

    My idea of an ultra-compact is the Minolta Xt, which beats the G500 for
    overall size, is 3 ounces lighter too and its lens doesn't stick out. I love
    mine. Its 3.2 megapixels is enough for the purposes to which I put such a
    camera--makes nice sharp letter-size photos, which is as big as I've had
    occasion to print so far. And I'll bet its lens is better than the
    G500's--nine elements with three aspheric elements, as opposed to seven
    elements (and apparently no aspherics) for the Konica lens. This is not to
    denigrate Konica, which has always made good lenses; it's just that I think
    Minolta's in this case is probably the better lens. If the G500 had a
    Minolta lens I'd likely think better of it. :)

    I can't argue with that, but still . . . the fact that it's there and
    useless would annoy me.

    I doubt anyone will bring out an ultracompact using CompactFlash. The SD
    card is just a natural for that purpose and is becoming (or has already
    become) a standard for it.

    Neil

    NJH, Nov 2, 2003
  10. Laurence Koster

    JohnO Guest

    Where do YOU think YOU have any credibility in anything you've
    commented on throughout this entire thread?
    Is it the ranting of a complete lunatic that gives you this right?
    HAHAHA!

    Only thing I've noticed to any comments you make is that when someone
    disagrees with those nonsensical comments of yours you get more and more
    defensive and end up declaring yourself the winner when in fact you act like
    a 6 year old. You CAN NOT have a sensible discussion because it is your way
    or no way.

    And just to clear things up ... this conversation is about CF vs MS and
    they both do the same thing, work just as well as each other and are here
    and will be for a long, long time regardless of your "sky is falling"
    paranoid forecasts to the opposite. As I've told you before ... your
    argument was going on over three years ago. It'll be going on in another
    three years and prbably much longer.

    I think you are right, Abrasha. He PLONKED you a number of posts back
    but can't even keep his promise ... add liar to his resume?
    Gee, I thought that was what I was ... Are you cheating on me Pizzi?

    correct your English, ok ... hahahahahaha... ends with an "a", not an
    "h"
    Watch out ... you may be running out of PLONKs

    JohnO, Nov 2, 2003
  11. The sample photos from the Konica 510z (G500) look better
    than the F300 photos.

    The F300 is not a viable option due to the AA batteries.
    I guess they need a new size classification for the Xt and the Pentax Optio.
    The problem with these cameras is that being small is their main feature.
    Look at stuff like the shutter speed and the lens. I'd rather carry the
    Canon
    S400 even though its thicker.

    Steven M. Scharf, Nov 2, 2003
  12. Laurence Koster

    Godfrey Guest

    I've had good results with the G500 predecessor, the Konica KD500Z. The fact
    that it takes Memory Stick and SD/MMC cards was a boon to me when I purchased
    as I have plenty of Memory Stick cards. I fitted both a 128M Memory Stick and
    a 256M SD card, find that suffices for all my needs, haven't touched it
    since.
    The size and weight of the KD500/G500 is almost exactly the same as a Minox
    35GT-E, one of my old favorite compact 35 cameras, and I find it takes
    photographs of excellent quality. They fit into a very small Brookstone cell
    phone case and don't weigh much. I've been thinking of upgrading to the G500
    since it supports higher ISO settings and has more manual capability, but in
    truth I have not found the KD500Z's single ISO 100 or lack of manual control
    to be a problem.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey, Nov 2, 2003
  13. Laurence Koster

    Abrasha Guest

    As I have said on a couple of occasions before, "promises, promises".

    You can't do it. You don't have it in you. You keep promising, but you just
    can't bring yourself to doing it. You must read. You are weak. You must know
    what I say to you next. Your curiosity and your insecurity force you what I and
    others have to say about you and your paranoia next.

    You will never succeed in putting me or anyone else in a kill file.

    I can just see you squirm in front of your monitor, all red faced and angry.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Nov 2, 2003
  14. In addition to all you mentioned above I might add that Mr Pizzi hasn't an
    ounce of couth. Oh my! Just dreadful! Tsk-tsk....

    cultural neanderthal, Nov 2, 2003
  15. Laurence Koster

    NJH Guest

    I've looked at the Knoica KD-500Z sample photos and the Minolta F300 sample
    photos on Steve's Digicams, and the Konica photos don't look any better to
    me. I don't believe you can really make that sort of judgement from a
    monitor screen anyway.

    Many people feel just the opposite: that a camera using an expensive
    proprietary Li ion battery is much less useful than one using AA batteries.
    NiMH AA batteries keeping improving in capacity (now up to 2200mAh, far more
    than any compact-sized Li ion battery), are widely available and
    inexpensive. In a pinch you can always use alkaline AA batteries available
    in stores everywhere, but when Li ion batteries die in the same
    circumstances your camera just becomes an expensive paperweight.

    Optio.

    Well, they are what I call ultracompacts, and I don't think we need a new
    term. Yhe Minolta F300 is a compact (or "very compact" if you want to refine
    the gradations) and I'd put the Konica G500 in that class too.

    Sure. But that is a *very* useful feature. The Minolta Xt is literally a
    shirt-pocket camera--not just a camera that you can stuff into your shirt
    pocket somehow (I can do that with lots of compact cameras), but one for
    which carrying in the shirt pocket is really a comfortable and practical
    idea. I love my Xt!

    Okay. The Minolta F300 has an eight-element (with three aspherics) 38-114mm
    (equivalent) f/2.8-4.7 lens. The Minolta Xt has a nine-element (three
    aspherics) 37-111mm f/2.8-3.6 lens. The Konica G500 has a seven-element (?no
    aspherics) 39-117mm f/2.8-4.9 lens. So I'd say that both Minolta lenses
    shade the Konica lens on specs: both have more sophisticated lens designs
    than Konica, both are slightly wider at the short end, both are the same
    f/2.8 at the short end but faster at the long end, the Xt being about half a
    stop faster.

    In shutter speed, the G500 goes 1 sec to 1/2000. The F300 goes 15 sec to
    1/1000 and the Xt goes 4 sec to 1/1000. That gives both Minoltas a wider,
    and in my opinion more useful, range of shutter speeds than the Konica.
    Especially given the limitations of state-of-the-art CCDs (especially noise
    at high ISO numbers), I am much more likely to need something longer than 1
    second than I am shorter than 1/1000. In fact even with 35mm, where higher
    ISO films can be used without severe sacrifice in quality, I seldom use
    shutter speeds faster than 1/1000.

    Neil

    NJH, Nov 3, 2003
  16. Laurence Koster

    Pat Norton Guest

    Pat Norton, Nov 6, 2003
  17. Laurence Koster

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    I know that index and (even though it still proves
    my point) I have more than one problem with it.

    I don't think a study based on the PERCEPTION of
    corruption is much reliable, because it heavily depends
    on the general attitude of people towards their governments.
    I'm pretty sure in a country like Japan (or the US before
    Nixon, for that matter) people are averagely less prone to
    openly criticizing their government (it is also a cultural
    problem) whereas in Latin countries, for example, people
    are a lot less "proud" and a lot more willing to talk about
    their problems and the government's.

    Finally, that survey has nothing to do with the corporate
    world as it only covers "the perceived levels of corruption
    among politicians and public officials."

    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 6, 2003
  18. Laurence Koster

    Cool Hand Guest

    On 28 Oct 2003 18:15:07 GMT, (FOR7b) wrote:

    =>
    =>You also have to ask yourself if you want all those pictures on just one stick.
    =>I wouldn't. In that case the smaller size Mem Sticks are not so much different
    =>in price.
    =>
    =>
    =>
    =>
    =>

    So, to get 10G Memory Volume(Eggs in baskets argument)

    10 x 1G CF

    or

    40 x 256MB MS
    40 x 256MB CF

    or

    80 x 128MB MS
    80 x 128MB CF

    or

    160 x 64MB MS
    160 x 64MB CF

    or

    320 x 32MB MS
    320 x 32MB CF

    or

    640 x 16MB MS
    640 x 16MB CF

    Cool Hand, Nov 12, 2003
  19. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    =>You also have to ask yourself if you want all those pictures on just one
    10 gig? You are joking, right? :)

    FOR7b, Nov 12, 2003