Compact Flash versus Memory Stick

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Laurence Koster, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Laurence Koster

    JohnO Guest

    And who do you get info from? The guy that empties the trash?
    Guess what ... it's the CEO that has to answer to the stockholders, to
    the workers, to the customer.
    OK, what does Enron have to do with your vision of the Memory Stick? Is
    this yet another one of your lame comparisons as to all the problems with
    the Memory Stick? OR are you now "desperate"?
    What I invest in has no place in the discussion of memory cards.
    And where do those independent sources get their info ... same trash guy
    you talk to?
    Tada ... there's that paranoia I keep mentioning. Thanks!
    So those few companies are the model you use to base your thoughts that
    ALL companies lie ... LOL ... You are to much!
    What was that? You think the sky is falling?
    And how exactly does this relate to MS? Not at all? The very least you
    should do is a tiny bit of research to see what Sony and those almost 500
    companies are doing with MS ... OOPS! I forgot ... it's a L I E ! ! !
    It's a GUESS, OK? (I'm not doing research for you)
    So what in your mind determines when Sony Memory Stick doesn't "work"?
    When those 50,000,000 Memory Sticks get thrown in the trash? Or is it when
    Sony stops putting a MS in the digial cameras or phones or GPS or printers
    or ...

    Good thing I have all the MS I need ... I don't want to be trying to
    buy it when the panic hits.
    What were you saying about twisting words? I never hinted that you were
    a lunatic or an idiot. It was YOU that said that. I said you live in a
    paranoid little world. What you've said in this thread only makes that more
    evident ...

    "Paranoia, noun, a tendency on the part of an individual toward
    excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others"

    What, about this description doesn't describe your view of Sony or
    their Memory Stick? Not once have you given any facts to back up your claims
    yet when I give you facts, and there are many out there from any number of
    sources, you still call them lies. Can you tell me how this is rational
    thinking?

    JohnO, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Laurence Koster

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Ever heard of INDEPENDENT sources that make a lot
    of money just by doing that? Guess what, the more reliable
    they are, the more money they make...
    The CEO lies to all of them, that's so typical of the corporate
    world anywhere on the globe (but *especially* in America and
    Japan, where capitalism is a lot wilder and corporate crime
    usually goes unpunished.)
    You said that a CEO report is a "reliable source." I PROVED
    you that the CEO's of ALL companies whose stock tanked
    have always LIED BOLD FACED to the investors when the
    company was going down the drain.
    It does. You are investing in a company that has traditionally
    tried to twist the consumer's arm by forcing proprietary standards
    and the consumer has usually reacted by NOT BUYING its products.
    It happened with Betamax, Beta SP, 8mm, Hi8 and, finally, with
    the Memory Stick.
    And your point is that there are no independent sources or you
    just don't know what the heck you're talking about?
    That's because you are losing the argument and you can only
    resort to insults and offensive language. It's not a matter of
    paranoia, PR garbage is...garbage and NOT a reliable source
    of information. I could say that only a stupid drone would believe
    otherwise, but I don't want to stoop to your level.
    That's the nature of capitalism.
    OK, you're completely clueless now.
    Sorry you can't grasp such a simple concept.
    You should do a tiny bit of research to see how "popular"
    was Beta SP in the professional work (I know, you don't
    have the faintest idea what I'm talking about...) and now
    it's...GONE.
    So, if you don't know the SOURCE of the statistic you quoted,
    it's very easy to presume that you have just made it up.
    When Sony decides to fit new model with CF slots maybe?
    Naaah, too hard to understand, I guess...
    I have no idea what happened with the millions of Betamax tapes...
    (and frankly I couldn't care less...)
    So, it's OK by your standard if I say that based on what you've
    said in this thread you're a clueless moron who doesn't know
    what he's talking about?
    No, it doesn't. Corporations lie all the time, this is not paranoia,
    it's a proven FACT. Nobody takes corporation PR garbage
    at face value, at least nobody that actually uses his/her brain.
    ???? Sorry if you are unable to understand simple facts.
    You don't give "facts", you try to smuggle a corporation's PR
    tidbit for the "truth." This is laughable at best, pathetic at worst.

    Paolo Pizzi, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Laurence Koster

    JohnO Guest

    OK ... You win! You are a raving idiot and a paranoid lunatic!

    JohnO, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Laurence Koster

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    OK, you lose the argument and all you are left with is the name
    calling.

    Paolo Pizzi, Oct 31, 2003
  5. Laurence Koster

    JohnO Guest

    There you go again, twisting words to make something sound completely
    different than what I said.
    I did not say you won the argument.
    I say you are 100% wrong about MS.
    I say you are 100% wrong about your paranoia that everything is a lie.
    And I say your comparison of past tried and failed technology with MS
    is nothing short of nonsense, but then again you have no actual proof to
    back your statements up so what would one expect.

    As for the name calling, it was you that called yourself an idiot and
    lunatic (guess your comprehension is also a little skewed, like the rest of
    your ideas). I figure if you want to start calling me names, you don't mind
    if I just went ahead and agreed with the names you call yourself.

    JohnO, Oct 31, 2003
  6. You will not see a double-blind study of camera buyers and whether or not
    the ability to not use Compact Flash resulted in them choosing something
    other
    than Sony.

    You have to look at the big picture and read between the lines. Clearly Sony
    would not have added CF to the F-828 unless they believed that it would gain
    them sales that they otherwise would have lost.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 31, 2003
  7. Definitely not a lie. But the fact that he felt compelled to even
    defend Memory Stick implies that there is trouble. Also, his
    numbers were raw numbers, not in comparison to the other
    media type out there.

    The fact that Sony saw fit to add CF to the F-828 proves that
    they realized that the lack of an industry standard storage medium
    was costing them sales, at least at the high end of their product
    range.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 31, 2003
  8. That is not fair. The Japanese chief executives typically
    do not lie like the ones in the U.S. Ken Lay is a Republican
    after all, why would you believe anything he said?

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 31, 2003
  9. Well you are right about that. The people that lose always resort
    to the name calling.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 31, 2003
  10. Laurence Koster

    JohnO Guest

    Exactly! I don't know what the statistics say but when it comes to
    digital camera sales Sony had been at the top in the past and I'm sure they
    still are up near the top. What better way to keep that position than to
    get an entire new group (those that won't buy MS for any number of reasons).
    If the f828 pans out to be what is expected it will take the high end
    of this market without question and it won't be held back by the storage
    media.
    By adding a CF slot with the MS slot does not mean the demise of the
    Memory Stick, as many seem so adamant about, especially when you read what
    is being developed regarding MS, not only by Sony or even just digital
    cameras but a very wide variety of electronics products.

    JohnO, Oct 31, 2003
  11. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    Ok, obviously having another media slot would be an advantage for someone who
    places so much value on media type and could certainly increase Sony sales,
    particularly in that category. That said, how can one conclude that Memory
    Stick sales were declining or in jeopardy just because Sony adds a slot for
    another memory card? One can also say they are just simply expanding their
    already growing market, could they not?

    FOR7b, Oct 31, 2003
  12. Laurence Koster

    Abrasha Guest

    Abrasha, Oct 31, 2003
  13. Laurence Koster

    Abrasha Guest

    Hey, you clueless wonder! You don't know what you are talking about. SONY has
    held the number one spot in market share for digital cameras the last two years.
    running.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Oct 31, 2003
  14. Laurence Koster

    Abrasha Guest

    I'll do that for you. Paolo Pissy, you are an idiot and a lunatic, albeit one
    with a PhD (or so you claim). Given the kind of language you use, I doubt that
    you even know what a PhD is.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Oct 31, 2003
  15. Laurence Koster

    JohnO Guest

    Thanks Abrasha!

    PCMag has always been a great site to get info. I knew that survey
    was out there somewhere.

    Some may also want to go to this PCMag page and click on the "flash
    forecast" link by this "Independant Guide" to see what direction flash cards
    are going.

    JohnO, Oct 31, 2003
  16. Laurence Koster

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    But I have, since you started insulting me. A CLEAR proof you
    are out of arguments.
    You started calling me names, that's obvious. You called me a paranoid
    first and then a raving idiot. Obviously you are incapable of debating in
    a civil way.

    Paolo Pizzi, Oct 31, 2003
  17. Laurence Koster

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Sony was the leader in professional portable cameras with
    their Beta SP standard (proprietary.) Still, Beta SP is gone.
    See if you can get a clue...

    Paolo Pizzi, Oct 31, 2003
  18. Laurence Koster

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Don't assume that the Japanese corporate world is any
    less corrupt than ours. Remember the countless financial
    scandals of the late nineties.

    Paolo Pizzi, Oct 31, 2003
  19. Laurence Koster

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    What kind of language would that be? One in which I play
    stupid games with other people's names like a 5-year old?

    The world wonders...

    Paolo Pizzi, Oct 31, 2003
  20. Laurence Koster

    George Kerby Guest

    Beta SP is gone? Tell that to CNN, Fox, and most local ENG stations!
    DigiBeta and DVCPro are slowly replacing, but Beta is still king. Too much
    invested. It will be around for years before it goes the way of 3/4" uMatic.
    Check your facts!

    George Kerby, Oct 31, 2003