    Just purchased a Canon Rebel 300D. This is my first digital camera. Can
    anyone recommend which brand/type compact flash would work best with
    this camera.

    Terry Malin, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Terry Malin

    Todd Walker Guest

    I use primarily Viking in my 10D and I've never had a problem with them.
    Sandisk, Lexar, Transcend, and Simple Tech are also good brands. Don't
    pay extra for "high speed" cards -- the camera writes fast enough and
    has a large enough buffer that write speed won't be an issue.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Terry Malin

    > Guest

    Seriously ?, I thought a higher speed card would be a benefit in a camera
    like the 300D.

    --
    Tony

    Remove the fish to reply
    --= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

    >, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Terry Malin

    stan Guest

    I just bought the same camera on Friday night. I am no expert, but I
    have a pair of 256MB SanDisk CP I cards and one PNY 256MB CP I card. They
    all worked well when I tried them in my camera yesterday.

    I think the two key differences between one CP card and the next is the
    speed and capacity. The higher the capacity and the faster the speed
    of the card, the more expensive it will cost.

    stan, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Terry Malin

    RustY© Guest

    The only time that write speed will be an issue is if you use 'multiple
    shot' mode and fill the buffer. Then you have to wait whilst the camera
    writes enough data to the card before you can take another shot. In normal
    use most folks will never get to that stage.

    RustY©, Oct 19, 2003
  6. << I thought a higher speed card would be a benefit in a camera
    like the 300D >>

    I thought the camera could only write to the card at one speed. To take
    advantage of a faster card, wouldn't you need a camera with a faster writing
    character-rate?

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Oct 19, 2003
  7. Terry Malin

    > Guest

    >, Oct 20, 2003
  8. The 300D has a sports mode that takes repeating shots with tracking
    autofocus. If that's a feature you need, the card speed will make a
    difference.

    Unfortunately, downloading from the camera is ridiculously slow. Get a
    card reader or buy a card with USB support built in.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Oct 20, 2003
  9. Terry Malin

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:13:18 +1100, in this august
    No, unfortunately. The 10D & 300D write quite slowly. On the bright
    side, it means that you can save money by using cheap CF cards.

    Lionel, Oct 21, 2003
  10. Terry Malin

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on 19 Oct 2003 19:49:59 GMT, in this august forum,
    Yes, that's correct.

    Lionel, Oct 21, 2003
  11. Terry Malin

    Carol Haynes Guest

    The Lexar 512Mb 40x Pro cards seem good to me - and they come with a fast
    USB card reader, software and a lifetime guarantee included (at least in the
    UK).

    EOS magazine recommends the Lexar Pro range after testing speeds too.

    Carol

    Carol Haynes, Oct 27, 2003
  12. Terry Malin

    3ric Guest

    No matter what you have to have a high speed card reader. I took
    twenty or so shots today on the highest jpeg setting....fifteen
    minutes to get them over to the pc. you'd think by now canon would
    have included USB 2, but I guess they had to watch production costs
    very close to get it in under 1k.

    3ric, Oct 31, 2003
  13. It's not the USB type, it's the camera. My CF card has built-in 1Mbps
    USB support and it's _much_ faster than downloading through the camera.
    I wouldn't even consider downloading 1GB through the camera; forget it!

    Kevin McMurtrie, Nov 1, 2003
  14. Terry Malin

    Carol Haynes Guest

    Ditto - my Lexar Card came with its own CF USB reader (it doesn't work with
    other cards). It is much faster than USB downloads from a camera. It
    certainly doesn't take 15 minutes to download 20 RAW files (@ ~7.5Mb each).

    Carol

    Carol Haynes, Nov 1, 2003
  15. There's not much inside the little Lexar reader. The USB circuit is
    actually inside the CF card.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Nov 1, 2003