Compact cameras with 640X480 with ulimited recording times that use Compact Flash?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lee Chen, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. Lee Chen

    Lee Chen Guest

    I've done a bit of research on this, and it seems like all the compact
    cameras that allow 640x480 with ulimited recording times are:

    pentax 43wr
    fujifilm F700 (and others like 710)
    various sony models, P8, etc
    Canon PowerShot S1 IS

    There's also the Sanyo Fisher FVD-C1. But the one thing with all
    these cameras is that none of them use compact flash. Meaning the
    largest media available is a 1 gb sd card or memory stick. It doesn't
    seem like the 2 gb sd card is stock anywhere yet. Ah, there is a 2
    gb memory stick, but it's really expensive at $300.

    So, is there a camera out there that shoots movies in 640x480 with
    unlimited recording times that uses compact flash?

    Thanks,

    Lee

    Lee Chen, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Lee Chen

    Mike Guest

    The Canon S1 IS uses standard Type 1 Compact Flash. But video
    clips are limited to either 1 hour or 1GB per clip, whichever occurs
    first. At maximum size and quality that's a maximum length of about
    8.5 minutes.

    If you want longer videos, that's what video cameras are for.

    Mike, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Lee Chen

    JB Guest

    The Canon S1 IS *does* use Compact Flash and Microdrives. We use a 4GB one
    for video with no problems.

    HV

    JB, Nov 29, 2004
  4. Lee Chen

    bob Guest

    (Lee Chen) wrote in @posting.google.com:
    It sounds like you really want a camcorder.

    Bob

    bob, Nov 29, 2004
  5. Lee Chen

    Matt Ion Guest

    Lee, Check out JVC's new Evrio line of "digital media" cameras. It's
    essentially a CF-based camcorder that ships with a 4GB microdrive. JVC
    claims up to 90 minutes of DVD-quality MPEG-2 video (300 minutes max) or
    up to 10,000 2MP (1600x1200) stills on a 4GB card.

    http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/

    Matt Ion, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Lee Chen

    Lee Chen Guest

    Interesting. The extra resolution that the Evrio adds certainly would
    be nice, but it's not worth $1000 to me. If it were $600/700 I'd
    consider it, since it includes a 4 gb microdrive. But it's basically
    a more expensive (with more features) version of the Sanyo Fisher
    FVD-C1.

    Speaking of the Sanyo Fisher, I really think the Sanyo Fisher is
    overpriced. The only real difference between it and the Pentax 43wr
    is that it compresses the video - and justifies the $300 price
    difference? The Pentax even takes higher resolution photos. If the
    Pentax just added mpeg-2 compression, that'd pretty much be all I
    need.

    I know the new Sony DSC-M1 has mpeg-4, but at $500 + $300 for a 1 gb
    memory stick pro duo card, that's simply too much.

    Yesterday I bought the Pentax 43WR and a 1 gb SD card. $375 total.
    Taking video clips of 1 gb in size works just fine. That's about 15
    min of footage at 640x480 30 fps. The one slightly annoying thing is
    that the usb transfer is quite slow - takes around 30 min to transfer
    1 gb. Too bad the 2 gb sd card isn't available anywhere yet.

    Also, others have complained about the sound, and I agree it's not
    great. It's very good at picking up mechanical noises from the
    slightest touch on the camera.

    Lee

    Lee Chen, Dec 1, 2004