    get around this? I cannot find for the life of me where I can do that. I
    checked the help files but am lost in the jargon. Any help appreciated.

    Martin

    Martin Knight, Feb 19, 2009

  2. Martin Knight

    Stubbo of Oz Guest

    I installed Comodo recently and it failed the leak test I got from

    http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

    I have now installed PC Tools Firewall Plus and it passed the leak
    test.

    So far no problems - all going well!.

    Get it free here:-

    http://www.download.com/PC-Tools-Firewall-Plus-Free-Edition/3000-10435_4-10625321.html

    Stubbo of Oz, Feb 19, 2009

  3. Martin Knight

    Stubbo of Oz Guest

    Stubbo of Oz, Feb 19, 2009
  4. I wonder if I uninstall Comodo will it leave me with the problem or will it
    correct it as it backs out.

    Martin

    Martin Knight, Feb 19, 2009
  5. Martin Knight

    elaich Guest

    My experience with Comodo is that the last letter should be e rather than
    o.

    elaich, Feb 19, 2009
  6. Martin Knight

    M.L. Guest

    I have the latest Comodo Internet Security firewall installed and it
    passed the leak test. Perhaps your version was outdated,
    misconfigured, or you did not follow the warning to block it.

    M.L., Feb 19, 2009
  7. Martin Knight

    Stubbo of Oz Guest

    No way to any of that - I downloaded the latest version a couple of
    days ago and leak test was applied CORRECTLY!

    I was using the free version - is there a paid version that you have?

    Anyway, PC Tools firewall works well and seems more user friendly.

    Stubbo of Oz, Feb 19, 2009
  8. Martin Knight

    Stubbo of Oz Guest

    Revo Uninstaller does an excellent job of getting rid of all the
    remnants of programs - much better than Windows uninstall system.

    It c alls the normal uninstaller then, when that finishes, it scans
    your system for all the left overs and gets rid of them too

    Get it FREE here:-

    http://www.revouninstaller.com/

    Stubbo of Oz, Feb 19, 2009
  9. Martin Knight

    bambam Guest

    (snip for brevity)

    I have Comodo Internet Security installed. Free version. No
    problems. Passed the leak test.

    Ken

    bambam, Feb 19, 2009
  10. I found it to be way too complicated and it actually interferres with the
    internal of the OS. It is trying to be MORE than a firewall and uses some
    fancy tricks to protect some executables, especially DLLs from viruses,
    trojans, etc and can actually stop you from using the OS to its fullest IF
    you say yes to a question too quickly. There was a point where I couldn't
    uninstall programs, view hardware setup, open files with a dufferent program
    and the list goes on. I got rid of it safely by disabling all the features
    then uninstalled in that state. What a pain. I'll look for a firewall ONLY
    and no fancy BS. Thanks for the help and discussion.

    Martin Knight, Feb 19, 2009
  11. Martin Knight

    DNA Guest

    There is nothing wrong with COMODO FREE suite.

    Where human intervention plays a part, that is where you will find your
    problems.

    RTFM

    http://www.cod.dk/rtfm/index.html

    DNA, Feb 19, 2009
  12. Martin Knight

    DNA Guest

    The free COMODO suite passes the leak test.

    Either you don't know what you're doing, or you responded in the affirmative
    to the request made by the COMODO FW which the leak test is very clear about
    not doing.

    Check ya settin', guv.

    DNA, Feb 19, 2009
  13. Martin Knight

    M.L. Guest

    I agree. But if the interface is too confusing for the user they need
    to move on to a simpler alternative.

    M.L., Feb 19, 2009
  14. Martin Knight

    M.L. Guest

    That is not possible.
    There is no paid version.

    M.L., Feb 19, 2009
  15. Martin Knight

    DNA Guest

    The interface. So, you think the interface is the problem? Of course /you/
    don't.

    In advanced settings of COMODO there are predefined firewall policies which
    for most will cover the bases.

    Other than specifics like for example o/l gaming (which a gamer would know
    about anyway) what has the novice to do? Set alerts not to show by
    regularity, perhaps?

    I just wonder how the OP or any other novice user of COMODO gets connected
    to the hinternet; I mean, what /are/ they going to do when COMODO gives them
    options to select their network ffs?!

    I take your point, but hey, how hard can it be? Perhaps the question is, how
    hard do they wanna make it? Perhpas the interface should have a theme option
    for pink, then they'll geddit.

    DNA, Feb 19, 2009
  16. Martin Knight

    Stubbo of Oz Guest

    Yes I DO know what I am doing and NO I did NOT respond in the
    affirmative!!

    Been doing these things for years!

    Stubbo of Oz, Feb 19, 2009
  17. Martin Knight

    DNA Guest

    OK, ok, keep your knickers on - So can you explain why you weren't able to
    conduct a leak test on COMODO FW without it failing?

    DNA, Feb 19, 2009
  18. Martin Knight

    Joe Boy Guest

    Joe Boy, Feb 20, 2009
  19. I have tried PC Tools for a few days and it seems to be a firewall without
    all the other malware/spyware stuff to screw you up and is working quite
    nicely. The only thing I would like to be able to do is edit or turn off the
    firewall's list of approved applications. I may not always want an
    application to seek updates which this firewall allows if it is pre-approved
    like for something like Adobe. I looked every where and am lost on this
    point. Other than that I like the interface and smoothness of it.

    Martin Knight, Feb 20, 2009
  20. You can feel vindicated by the article below on Comodo. The last paragraph
    says the leak test is DISABLED

    ...................... snip ............................

    If performance rather than ease of use is your criterion, then the Comodo
    firewall is the top contender. The firewall itself is very robust, and the
    just-released version 3 includes a well-designed intrusion detection system
    and Vista compatibility. Comodo also supports internet connection sharing,
    whereas the free versions of Kerio and ZoneAlarm do not. On the minus side,
    the IDS is initially rather talkative, and this may unnecessarily alarm
    inexperienced users. Additionally, Comodo has been known to conflict with
    some other security products. However, for the technically initiated who can
    cope with these annoyances, this is an outstanding free product and an easy
    first choice. Make sure that you install it in "Proactive Defense+" mode,
    because the "Firewall Only" installation has the HIPS, which includes the
    leak test protection, disabled.

    snipped from http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm

    Martin Knight, Feb 24, 2009