    Im just playing around DHCP server, i'm just confuse.

    Thanks,
    Joed

    Joed, Dec 15, 2008

  2. Joed

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Try 255.255.0.0

    Montreal_MCT, Dec 15, 2008

  3. Joed

    sql_noob Guest

    in the test world, i'm not 100% sure but I think you have to multi-
    nome the server with one NIC per subnet. in the real world you have
    VLAN's set up then there is a switch setting called IP Helper where
    you put in the DHCP server address. this way if you 10 VLAN's it's
    easy for a client to get to one central DHCP server. the client sends
    out a DHCP request, switch detects it and forwads it to the right DHCP
    server

    sql_noob, Dec 15, 2008
  4. Placing the networks in a common subnet would certainly resolve the
    communications aspect, but then you'd not have two separate networks, you
    would only have one network with a larger single subnet.

    You can actually manage and route traffic to two different subnets on the
    same NIC connection. Configure the NIC of the DHCP server with addresses on
    *both* subnets (e.g. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1), and then enable IP
    Routing on the machine. TCP/IP traffic can be routed in/out to two different
    subnets on the same NIC. This is not the conventional physical topology, but
    because physical and logical layers are separated, it's certainly possible.
    Just the same as you can connect four nodes from two completely different IP
    networks onto the same hub (or switch), and those two 'networks' will
    happily truck on as if they were physically isolated -- not a conventional
    configuration, but certainly functional.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 15, 2008