    split-second black screen.

    Any suggestions on what to try next? I can, by the way, open the command
    prompt in safe mode.

    Guest, Aug 19, 2005

  2. You can run a free online antivirus check at Trendmicro
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    Also at Trendmicro you can download and run their SYSCLEAN package.

    See PA Bear's notes on Sysclean from TrendMicro.
    Scanning with SYSCLEAN Robear's way
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php­?t=10610

    Run Sysclean in Safe mode. Also in Safe mode, I'd suggest running XP's System File Checker.
    Place your XP CD in the CDROM drive. (If setup pops-up just close (exit) that window).
    From XP menus, select "Command Prompt". (or from Run menu, type
    CMD <enter>

    in the command prompt window type
    SFC /SCANNOW <enter>

    That would get System File Checker running, and recheck your versions of Windows system files

    Maurice N ~ MVP, Aug 21, 2005

  3. P.S. Until normal mode of XP is fully normal, you can use "SAFE mode with Networking" to access the internet.
    As the pc is first booting up, tap & repeat tapping the F8 Function key --- to get selective bootup choices.
    Select Safe Mode with Networking.

    Maurice N ~ MVP, Aug 21, 2005
  4. Guest

    atec Guest

    use the free version , also works with xp64
    excellent product

    atec, Aug 21, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Maurice:

    Well, that didn't work. I went to Trendmirco and tried to download the
    virus scan, only to get a message that said it couldn't update because of
    "busy server or bad network traffic." Then IE shut itself down. I tried three
    times -- no luck

    So I read what PA Bear had to say and went to syclean. com -- all I got were
    a bunch of ad pop-ups and re-drections to other web sites. Nowhere could I
    find microtrend sysclean.

    I can't open the command prompt, so I couldn't run the system file checker.
    Any other suggestions? Now, both task manager AND command prompt won't open.

    Guest, Aug 21, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'll give avast a try. Thanks.