Comcast email - keep me signed in doesn't work

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by dcardarelli, Jul 6, 2012.

  1. dcardarelli

    dcardarelli Guest

    I am running XP, Google Chrome browser, and Comcast Email

    It seems that when I log on to Comcast email and check the box "Keep
    me signed in," that doesn't happen. When I exit and re-enter later I
    have to sign in again, password, etc. every time.

    I called Comcast and they said from their end, it should work. They
    feel it is a setting in Chrome that may be causing this.

    I looked at the settings but nothing stands out.

    When I sign in to Google, I stay signed in.

    This is only a nuisance and this only started about a month ago.

    Hopefully there will be a clue on this.

    Regards,

    Dave

    dcardarelli, Jul 6, 2012

  2. dcardarelli

    Paul Guest

    It's unlikely that "keep me signed in", keeps an actual
    connection to the server open. The connection is likely
    there, on your end, for around two minutes. Maintaining
    permanent connections to a server, takes server resources
    and isn't scalable to millions of customers (without a cost).

    So, how can you fake it ?

    By keeping a cookie on the client computer, with a copy
    of the account and password (encrypted). When the web
    code says to check with Comcast later, the web server at
    Comcast will ask for a username/password, and that will
    come from the cookie, so you don't have to type it in.

    If you've disabled cookies, I could imagine that
    causing your symptoms. Cookies can be denied via browser
    setting, by browser add-on, or by AV software denial.
    Lots of ways to lose them, not as many ways to keep them.

    If Chrome is capable of auto-updates, then it's even possible
    tool behavior changes with time, and that's where the new
    behavior comes from. Chrome assuming some new default settings.
    So it might not even be a change or something you've installed,
    that did it.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 6, 2012

  3. dcardarelli

    dcardarelli Guest

    New information:

    As long as I keep Google Chrome open or minimized, then opening
    Comcast email goes directly to my email without logging in.
    Apparently, logging off Chrome must wipe out the "signing in" of the
    email. Looking for anything in the setup, etc. that might reflect
    this.

    I re-installed Explorer 8 as well as Google Chrome but I don't think
    that make a difference.

    Dave

    dcardarelli, Jul 7, 2012
  4. dcardarelli

    Paul Guest

    Review your cookie retention settings. Does one of them say "delete
    cookies on shutdown" ? It could be, when you exit the tool, the
    cookies are flushed. Find the preferences and see.

    Note as well, that some third-party browsers, honor the settings
    in IE. So even if the browser doesn't have a setting for something,
    it could be inherited from IE.

    Keep digging :) Using a browser, was always meant to be like
    flying the space shuttle.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 7, 2012
  5. dcardarelli

    dcardarelli Guest

    Well, I am continuing from time to time checking preferences, options,
    settings, etc., and I'll get it sometime. But, as long as I keep the
    Google browser open in the tray, all seems fine.

    I notice, that when I close Google, only the password for Comcast
    Email gets deleted. Other passwords like, those for my local library,
    news sites, and other sites are not affected. So it seems it must be
    specific to the Comcast Email site for some reason.

    Best regards, and thanks for the chatting.

    Dave

    dcardarelli, Jul 8, 2012
  6. dcardarelli

    Daniel47 Guest

    Dave, could it be that you have your passwords file set as "Read Only"
    so you can use a session password, but it cannot be saved to your
    passwords file?? Or are you actually accepting a session password from
    Comcast??

    Just thinking!1

    Daniel

    Daniel47, Jul 8, 2012