    better) about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Cheers

    -Gaiko

    gaikokujinkyofusho, Dec 1, 2005

  2. There is no easy way to distribute the traffic between two different
    IP addresses, through two different gateways, so that a download from
    a single IP address, would run perhaps twice as fast. However, if you
    were to open two streams, one through each route, you would get double
    your bandwidth. However, not from a single stream. It would work for
    usenet news, surfing while downloading, and peer-to-peer havoc, but
    not a streaming broadcast originating from a single server.

    There are products that will do this under "load balancing routers"
    http://www.edimax.com/html/english/products/list-PRIrouter.htm
    http://www.edimax.com/html/english/products/list-router.htm
    Basically, it's just like an "ordinary" router except except it has
    multiple WAN ports. One goes to your DSL modem. The other goes via a
    wireless client to your neighbors wireless connection.

    You can probably do the same thing with your Linux conglomeration.
    However, I'll plead ignorance and let someone with more expience in
    Linux offer soemthing that works.

    Jeff Liebermann, Dec 1, 2005

  3. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Unruh Guest

    Simply not possible. IF the ISP at the far end were the same, and if that
    ISP were willing to multilink the pipes into one, then maybe, but tough.

    Unruh, Dec 1, 2005
  4. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Eric Guest

    I did something like that many years ago, although with dialup modems and
    some software that I no longer remember the name of.

    Used one modem with my commercial dialup ISP at the time, and the other with
    my dialup .edu

    Like Jeff said, you get two streams -- not one big fat combined pipe.

    Kinda like having a dual processor computer (and dual processor capable OS),
    but using applications that can only take advantage of one processor. You
    simply just point each application to use one or the other CPU's. The
    program I used for the modems was the similiar concept.

    As for mooching, my neighbors have broadband, but no wireless hardware. One
    of my repeaters spills into their backyard, which I let them mooch from
    though. They use it often during the summer with their laptops. As I
    config'd their laptops to be able to use it, obviously I could care less.

    Cheers!
    -Eric

    Eric, Dec 1, 2005
  5. gaikokujinkyofusho

    ato_zee Guest

    If through the one ISP, there would still the problem of connections
    being no faster than the slowest link in the chain, and with
    intense competition and pricecutting, whether your ISP is
    buying enough bandwidth into Telehouse and LINX.

    ato_zee, Dec 1, 2005
  6. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Unruh Guest

    What you have to do is alter the routing tables on your machine to tell it
    which line to send out and receive the material for a specific material.
    YOu will also need to make sure that you have different IP addresses on the
    two streams or only one will get used for the return. This means that you
    need to dynamically alter your routing tables depending on which two places
    you want to connect to.

    Well, if you care so much, you should probably do something about it.
    (Or maybe you wanted to say that you couldn't care less).

    Unruh, Dec 1, 2005
  7. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Dave J. Guest

    I don't know if it would fit with your use of the bandwidth but for
    windows there's a piece of connection teaming software called 'Midpoint'.

    It's intended to make use of multiple links to the internet by sharing the
    connections out between them. For example it seperates the various
    connections when viewing a web page and it automagically does partial file
    requests on larger downloads, both ftp and http.

    It operates as a NAT gateway and as SOCKS proxy servers. If your WIFI
    linkup can be presented as a NIC or as an ethernet connection then it will
    fit with the sharing.

    As I said, I don't know if it's right, the other disadvantages are a) that
    it is no longer supported by its company and b) it is not freeware.

    Quickest place to read about it is

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/review/midpoint-sharing.asp

    and if that grabs your interest then there are excellent PDF documents
    that arrive with the package, downloadable from

    ftp://ftp.midpoint.com/pub/download/midpoint.zip

    though the homepage is currently offline.

    I researched it about a year ago and this was the best possibility I
    found.

    Dave J.

    Dave J., Dec 2, 2005
  8. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Snowbat Guest

    Linux:
    Routing for multiple uplinks/providers
    http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

    OS X / interesting overview:
    Bob Quietly "Borrows" Internet Service From Three Neighbors at Once

    Snowbat, Dec 2, 2005