Combining multiple exposures of same scene?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by 223rem, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. 223rem

    223rem Guest

    223rem, Mar 9, 2006

  2. 223rem

    Rudy Benner Guest

    You mean something like Photoshop CS2 File>Automate>Merge to HDR?

    Rudy Benner, Mar 9, 2006

  3. 223rem

    Rudy Benner Guest

    You mean something like Photoshop CS2 File>Automate>Merge to HDR?

    Unfortunately the clouds were moving.

    Works better if your camera has a 'bracket' mode, where it will rapidly take
    a series of shots like you describe.

    Rudy Benner, Mar 9, 2006
  4. 223rem

    223rem Guest

    Possibly. I dont have Photoshop. How does the above work?

    223rem, Mar 9, 2006
  5. 223rem

    Rudy Benner Guest

    Quite well actually, assuming that you start with images that are suitable.

    Rudy Benner, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Don't think those are candidates for HDR. BUT:

    I'd start with two images that represent the exposure extremes you'd
    want, layer one on top of the other in PS, then put a layer mask over
    one, Hide All, then paint in the parts you want from than image. There
    are many more complex ways to accomplish this, but that's a start.

    John McWilliams, Mar 9, 2006
  7. Do a google search for a free program called autostich.

    Richard Tomkins, Mar 9, 2006
  8. 223rem

    rafe b Guest

    OP is looking for exposure fixup and extension of lattitude --
    not traditional "stitching" (as for making panoramas.)

    That's what merge-to-HDR is about in Photoshop.

    It can also be done using layers and layer masks.

    Try using gradients for the layer masks. Roughly
    comparable to using graduated ND filter during
    exposure. Example, using two images:

    1. bottom layer: good sky, dark foreground
    2. next layer up: blown out sky, good foreground

    Set the layer mask for the top layer so that
    it ranges from black at the top to white at
    the bottom. You can view the composite
    while drawing new gradients into the layer
    mask.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Mar 9, 2006
  9. Unfortunately the clouds were moving.
    Providing it "brackets" by changing shutter speed, not aperture. Otherwise
    you'll have different parts of your image in focus.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Mar 9, 2006
  10. 223rem

    Rudy Benner Guest

    Yup, that is what my Oly C-7070 does, brackets by changing the shutter
    speed. Depending on the resolution setting, you can get 3 or 5 exposures.

    Rudy Benner, Mar 9, 2006
  11. 223rem

    KennyJr Guest

    Look for aq program called Photomatix, it will do what you want.

    KennyJr, Mar 10, 2006
  12. 223rem

    223rem Guest

    That's a great program, and free too, thanks!

    223rem, Mar 10, 2006
  13. 223rem

    bugbear Guest

    The trial is fully functional and never expires, but applies a watermark to images produced with Tone Mapping and four of the six combination modes available.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Mar 10, 2006
  14. 223rem

    Al Dykes Guest

    The Latest version of Photoshop does, it's called High Dynamic
    Range. Google "HDR CS2" for lots of examples and more info.

    Definitly not free.

    Al Dykes, Mar 10, 2006
  15. 223rem

    Frank ess Guest

    I'll chip in with my too-familiar-to-some example of doing it
    post-opportunity:
    Here are three versions of a single photo, a through-the-windscreen
    effort. In the actual exposure Minolta Dimmidge Xt), foreground detail
    was buried:
    http://www.fototime.com/2C154491532DCA7/orig.jpg

    Opening up the foreground lost the sky's definition and impact:
    http://www.fototime.com/1A6813286BD91C7/orig.jpg

    Adding a layer of each of the foregoing and erasing the faded sky made
    it much more like what I saw:
    http://www.fototime.com/D101F3C8FC83D89/orig.jpg

    Frank ess, Mar 10, 2006

  16. Another free one that I can recommend is HDR Shop http://www.hdrshop.com/

    Angus

    angusinalberta, Mar 10, 2006
  17. 223rem

    bob Guest

    Here's my version:

    http://www.2fiddles.com/photos/photography/chicago.jpg

    The original looks like this:

    http://www.2fiddles.com/photos/photography/chi-orig.jpg

    It was a RAW file which I extracted with several different "exposure"
    settings.

    I layerd them in photoshop and used the masks to selectively bring out
    details in some of the buildings. The building in the lower left was
    compltely blown out in this exposure, so I layered it in from another.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 13, 2006