    it meant that I have everything working in Vista x64 on my Ferrari.

    Now if only the Virtual Server 2005 R2 networking was functional...
    (starts hunting)

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Feb 14, 2006

  2. Guest

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Feb 14, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Can you help me with my Acer 4006WLMi. I'm trying to go the other way, Mine
    came with win XP X64 and I would like to dual boot to win xp pro. Everytime
    (3 now) that I install xp pro on d: partition it all goes well til I try to
    boot into win X64 and I getmissing or corrucpt ntoskrnl.exe. I then have to
    use the backup disk to restore to original and loose everything. Thanks for
    any help. Pat

    Guest, Mar 9, 2006
  4. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Easiest way is to copy 2 files (ntldr and ntdetect.com) into a new folder on
    your C drive. Do your install. Then boot into the xp pro system and go to
    the c drive and copy the files back to the C drive replacing the two which
    were installed by your xp install.

    John Barnes, Mar 9, 2006
  5. See my blog on dual booting. Scroll to the section headed Wrong Order or
    something like that. Should fix it for you. :)

    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx

    HTH.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 10, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Boot up using the Win-XP PRO 64-bit CD
    Startup and select Recovery Console
    Select the item listed for where your 64-bit OS version is located (mine is
    D, therefore item number 2, yours would be C:windows, therefore item number 1)
    Respond to the Adminsitrator password prompt (blank if you didn't set it up,
    therefore press enter)

    -- The " x " on the next line would be replaced with the CD-ROM Drive letter
    Copy x:\i386\ndldr c:\
    -- respond with yes to overlay this file

    You could also replace the NtDetect.exe file, but I have found that this
    typically isn't necessary.

    Remove the Win-XP OS CD from the Drive
    Reboot the computer

    Select to startup using your Win-XP x64 configuration

    Magic... the problem should be fixed.

    -------------- What you did is to replace the version of the file (these
    files) that were loaded down onto your "C" Primary Partition (where you do
    the bootup and selection process in Multi-Boot mode). When you installed the
    WIN-XP PRO into partition "D", you overlayed those older versions of the
    files listed with back level code and configuration that work with WIN-XP
    PRO, but not with WIN-XP PRO x64 Edition. So, you reload the newer version
    of the files from the Bootable Win-XP PRO x64 OS CD-ROM. When you next boot
    and select to operate the Win-XP PRO x64 Edition, the prior error message
    should be no longer there and 64-bit works.

    Guest, Mar 10, 2006
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for all the help. I can't get it to work yet. First I don't have
    original windows xp x64 disk just restore disk acer sends with the laptop and
    they just have images on them. What I have tryed is to do a restore with acer
    disk and copyed ntldr and ntdetect.com to a new folder on c: partition and
    then install winxp on d: partition and after install is complete I copyed
    files from temp folder to the c:\i386 folder and try to reboot and I get
    windows could not start because file is missing or corrupt <windows
    root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe please re-install a copy of the above file. So I
    restored again and this time I copyed files ntldr, ntdetect.com and
    ntoskrnl.exe and for good measure I also copyed the c;\amd64, c:\i386 and
    c:\windows\system32 folders with all contents. Re-installed win xp on d: and
    replaced first files and no go, so I replaced the 3 folders and it still
    would not work. Help please..

    Guest, Mar 10, 2006
  8. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Assuming you copied the two files from C:\ into the temporary folder, you
    replace them from the folder to C:\ after you have installed XP.
    They don't go into ANY folder and they are not in ANY folder when you make
    the copies. They may not show on the drive due to being hidden, so you may
    need to change your folder options to show hidden and system files or
    include them in any search you do. Since you don't have an install CD you
    can't use the blog of Charlie.

    John Barnes, Mar 11, 2006
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    You would save the NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM files from your Win-XP x65 edition
    partition 1 (ie."C") using commands like:

    copy c:\NTLDR c:\i386\NTLDR
    copy c:\NTDETECT.COM c:\i386\NTDETECT.COM
    copy c:\windows\system32\NTOSKRNL.EXE c:\i386\NTOSKRNL.EXE

    Reboot and install Win-XP 32-bit Edition into Partition 2 (ie. "D")

    After installation is completed for Win-XP 32-bit, reboot and select this
    version in the multi-boot prompt selection (it most likely is the default,
    and after a 30 second delay it will select and load the 32-bit OS version).

    Once that the Windows startup has completed, you could RUN the command
    Prompt task to enter a Command Line Mode. Enter these commands:

    Copy c:\i386\NTLDR c:\NTLDR
    You would receive an Overwrite prompt, answer Yes.

    Copy c:\i386\NTDETECT.COM c:\NTDETECT.COM
    You would receive an Overwrite prompt, answer Yes.

    You could also to this command, but I don't think it is necessary:

    Copy c:\i386\NTOSKRNL.EXE c:\windows\system32\NTOSKRNL.EXE
    You would receive an Overwrite prompt, answer Yes.

    Reboot the computer.

    Select the 64-bit version of the OS during the startup using Multi-Mode
    selection.

    See if that works out. If not, there are other things that could be done,
    many already found on these 64-bit Microsoft thread for Multi-Mode.

    Guest, Mar 11, 2006
  10. why would you put 64-bit files in the i386 folder? That's a sure way to
    confuse the issue. the i386 folder is ONLY for 32-bit files.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 11, 2006
  11. Read the blog. Do a restore disk from Acer. Now you have x64 Edition
    installed. Good. take the two files and copy them somewhere safe. Now do an
    install of 32-bit from a bootable CD to D:\ drive. don't touch the D: drive,
    but copy the two files back from your safe place to the root of C:\. Edit
    your boot.ini file in C:\ to add the entry for 32-bit Windows if it isn't
    there already, and to make x64 the default. reboot. You should have a choice
    of OS's, and both should boot.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 11, 2006
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    John and Dan Thank you, I go back to work at 3 am cst and I will try what you
    are telling me. I did not copy them into C:\ I did a search and where
    windows search showed where they were found ie C:\i386 ntldr and ntoskrnl.exe
    in C:\windows\system32 and that is where I returned the copys to. So now I
    will copy everything just as you show me and I will let you know how it come
    out. Thank you very much. Pat

    Guest, Mar 11, 2006
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    There is a i386 folder in the 64-bit install partition.

    Guest, Mar 11, 2006
  14. Guest

    Rick Guest

    You're right. There is a i386 folder, but Charlie is telling you that
    what Dan told you is wrong. Don't do it.

    Rick, Mar 11, 2006
  15. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Charlie,

    In the thread that "pford" last described, the "Temporary" directory that he
    had copied the two required files to was titled "c:\i386". I attempted to
    use in my example the exact instructions to help him do the necessary steps
    to save off these files into "his" temp directory. It was only a
    subdirectory name.

    BTW, on the Bootable Win-XP PRO x64 Edition OEM CD, there are two
    subdirectories off it the root, one being x:\i386 and the other being
    x:\AMD64.

    The two files, "NTLDR" and "NTDETECT.COM" are both found in the CD's \i386
    subdirectory.

    The one file, "NTOSKRNL.EXE" is found on x:\AMD64 on the CD. This file must
    be expanded using the Recovery Console facility. Please note that this file
    on the CD is named "NTOSKRNL.EX_".

    Since pford does not have a bootable Win-XP PRO x64 Edition CD, he would
    need to have copied off this file after restoring the RESTORE image which
    came with the Laptop. This file would have been located in
    c:\windows\system32 and named NTOSKRNL.EXE and would be copied to a temporary
    file.

    Guest, Mar 11, 2006
  16. Yes. It contains the 32-bit versions of various programs and utilities -
    some portions of x64 Edition are still 32-bit (like IE which is both 32-bit
    and 64-bit) and the 32-bit versions are in the \i386 directory. All of the
    64-bit programs are in the \amd64 directory.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 11, 2006
  17. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you everyone my Ferrari is working right. I copyed the files as told,
    not thinking about hidden files when I was doing my search. I feel really
    dumb. Again thanks for your time and knowlage. Pat

    Guest, Mar 12, 2006
  18. Ah, hidden files. That's one legacy I don't appreciate. Glad you've got it
    working. The Ferrari is an awesome laptop - I'm still loving mine.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 12, 2006
  19. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ntdetect.com and ntldr were only marked as Read-Only on both the primary root
    bootable partition and on the CD (Win-XP PRO x64 Edition). But then, most of
    the time I have all my systems marked with file options to view both hidden
    and system files.

    Guest, Mar 12, 2006
  20. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    Does running Win2k3 32 bit on 64 bit processor is faster than running
    Win2k3 64 bit on 64 bit?. Does running Win2k3 32 bit on 64 bit processor
    wastes the other 32 buses on the processor ?

    Regards,
    swamy

    Guest, May 14, 2006