Colour profiling....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jonathan Wilson, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. With my current set up I can within my own eye sight and judgement get
    a print that is close enough to how I feel the shot looked when I took
    it to be good for me, mainly through getting the monitor set up using
    adobi's manual(eye) set up to match the monitor to the printer output
    :)

    Is it worth using an electronic (spider or otherwise) set up to truely
    calibrate the set up... does it have a marked impact in results when
    using say a 3rd party printer set up, or sending files to a magazine?

    Does the calibration only work as a "full set" of kit... so the moment
    I send to someone else, they will see something totaly different to my
    camera/screen/printer?

    If so, I'll stick with the manual subjective set up, if not then its
    time to see if funds will allow :)

    I know one of the bigest problems I had initially with the site was
    that a lot of people felt the pics were to dark, yet on my set up and
    resultant prints were fine... so I kinda push the brightness on the
    site pics now... looks over bright for me, but tends to be better for
    the majority of non pros, but wrong for a lot of pro's... and if i
    printed the adjusted (prior to re-size) files they would be far to
    lacking in the dark areas... blacks as dark greys!

    Jonathan Wilson, Jun 4, 2004

  2. +++ Simple answer: Your calibration is NOT their calibration
    +++ Maybe not totally different but different, by degrees, nevertheless.
    +++ Calibration of a particular system is meant to set up matching between
    your scanner; your editing apps; your monitor; and your printer. Unless you
    and another user can calibrate together then your cal settings have no
    effect on them or their cal settings on you if they are sending someting
    back.
    +++ Journalist

    Journalist-North, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Jonathan Wilson

    Guest Guest

    +++ Simple answer: Your calibration is NOT their calibration[/QUOTE]

    if he's doing it by eye, its not really calibrated and other users will
    likely see something a little different. thats why color management is
    needed, and done with hardware so there is no variance due to human
    judgement.
    images processed under a color managed workflow look the same on
    another calibrated device, aside from any limitations of the device
    (i.e. a printer might not show exactly the same thing as a monitor). it
    doesn't matter if its his own equippment or someone elses - if both
    users are color managed, it will be essentially the same.
    calibration and profiling is meant to mathematically describe the
    device so that colors can be consistent among different devices. if
    both users have calibrated and profiled their equippment, everything
    should 'just work.'

    while one can match scanner to monitor to printer, that is not what
    color managed workflow is about.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2004
  4. Jonathan Wilson

    none Guest

    Dude, just go through the Adobe Gamma calibration through Control Panel (on
    windows) and that's pretty much all the calibration you'll need.

    Set yoru monitor's contrast to the highest setting, and then turn down the
    brightness until it gets no darker (D-max)

    none, Jun 4, 2004
  5. Jonathan Wilson

    Five Guest

    You may be saving your files in a color space which
    when converted, will look darker.
    A good example is ADOBE RGB color space.
    It looks dark if you dont adjust it properly.
    I have made a preset that converts it properly in
    photoshop. It may help to just convert web versions
    to srgb color space. SRGB should display nearly the
    same on most monitors. In fact it prints quite well
    out of the box.

    ADOBE RGB is a wider color space, but you have to know
    how to adjust it.

    Five, Jun 5, 2004