    HP cartridges (they are grossly over-expensve with only 5ml per colour) and
    am wondering whether this has anything to do with the problem. Thanks for
    any help. John

    John Lee, Mar 24, 2007

  2. You may be able to do so adjusting with the right printer driver. Try
    downloading the latest drivers from the HP web site. I suspect you are not
    going to have a lot of luck.

    Inks papers and printer from a system. When you change one of them you
    change the system and you may run into problems. Frankly I doubt if the
    printer manufacturers are in the least bit interested in making their
    products compatible with others makes. They make their money by giving away
    printers and selling ink. Do they make them incompatible intentionally? I
    don't know, but I would not be surprised.

    I suggest buying an HP cartridge and paper and see what happens.

    Joseph Meehan, Mar 24, 2007

  3. Are you printing in a color managed work flow, using the appropriate ICC
    profile for your paper/ink combination?

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Mar 24, 2007
  4. John Lee

    Jim Waggener Guest

    What software are you using tom make your prints? You likely cannot use HP
    profiles on non-HP inks and expect accurate results. You can adjust color
    casts in the software before you print.

    Jim Waggener, Mar 24, 2007
  5. Seconded.After printing on my Canon Pixma iP 4300 with HP papers (with bad
    results) I am printing now with Canon papers (with excellent papers).I also
    wouldn't be suprised that every printer maker wants you to use their own ink
    and paper.The OP doesn't mention if the printer has different cartridges for
    each primary colour?Mine has C,M,Y black and bulk black.I use the genuine
    canon inks, 15 euros for 13 ml is alright for me.This printer has a
    disposable head, can print on cds/dvds, can print both sides of a sheet of
    paper automatically (flips it over), has a permanent paper tray...Cost only
    130 euros and is made in japan (printer, inks, paper).

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Mar 24, 2007
  6. Use paper and ink combos for which ICC profiles are available for use in a
    color managed printing process if you want predictable results.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Mar 24, 2007
  7. John Lee

    Roy G Guest

    Sounds like you need to learn about and start using Colour Management.

    One problem you have is that you will not have the ICC Profile needed for
    your specific Printer - Paper - Ink combination, because you are using
    non-HP inks.

    You will need to get this profile made for you, and learn how to use it.

    See www.cathysprofiles.com for the first and www.digital-darkroom.com
    for the second.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Mar 25, 2007
  8. John Lee

    k-man Guest

    I have a similar printer. Try "Kirkland" brand "professional glossy
    inkjet" paper at Costco. Good stuff! Save yourself some bucks over
    buying Canon paper. But you'll still need to use Canon ink.

    K.

    k-man, Mar 25, 2007
  9. John Lee

    k-man Guest

    You'll want to use HP ink. I bought some 3rd-party ink for my Canon
    once and the prints all had a yellow-ish cast. Kinda worked out well
    for some B&W pics I printed with it because the result was a super
    slight sepia overtone, which looked kinda cool. :)

    Kevin

    k-man, Mar 25, 2007
  10. Thanks, but I live in greece.Here, we get 40 sheets 4 X 5" canon for 4 euros
    (also 10 cents each sheet), is not that expensive and I get excellent
    results.I got some german paper,Felix Schoeller Compu Color, A4,50 sheets
    for 25 euros and is also nice.Canon ink is not *that* expensive, since it's
    a simple tank, without a print head.The lexmark z605 that *does* have a
    print head, I refill with a (korean)refill kit and generic black ink, 15
    euros for 100 ml, with excellent results so far.

    K.

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Mar 25, 2007
  11. Also make sure you are using good light to look at your prints. I had a
    very strong yellow cast in my prints. I had to dump a lot of blue into
    get them to look right. I didn't like it as it didn't match my screen.
    (color mananaged by the way) so I had a custom profile made. Same color
    shift! Then I had a "bright idea." I bought a full color lamp and my
    prints looked great, no yellow cast and the profile worked just like it
    should! So even though I had thought the halogen lamps were "white"
    enough they were not. The light is very "yellow" compared to the full
    color lamp. After 30 years in photography I should have known this.

    John Passaneau

    John Passaneau, Mar 26, 2007
  12. John Lee

    John Lee Guest

    Thanks for all your helpful advice. I will try to work through the various
    tips and see what happens. John

    John Lee, Mar 26, 2007
  13. John Lee

    k-man Guest

    In my case, I have two of the same printer, one with Canon inks and
    one with 3rd party inks. Side by side, in the same light in the same
    room, the Canon-ink print was correct whereas the 3rd-party-ink print
    (at least, with the inks I was using), had a yellow cast. It was a
    side by side comparison.

    Kevin

    k-man, Mar 28, 2007