    Photoshop Elements; I know how to use the Remove Color command, but somehow
    the resulting image looks weak and pale.

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jul 17, 2004

  2. Jimmy Smith

    jbruceb Guest

    The best way that I have found is to use the Channel Mixer tool in its monochrome mode. This tool, which comes from the full Photoshop, and many other useful tools for Elements is available through http://hiddenelements.com . Richard Lynch's book is tough going, but if you put the effort in you will know more about tone and color than just about everybody else. Not to mention being able to covert to awesome B&W, duotone, or whatever.
    jhb

    jbruceb, Jul 17, 2004

  3. Jimmy Smith

    Mike Mc Guest

    Hi

    I was looking at this myself for the first time only the other day. This is
    the solution I found although I'm not saying for one minute it's the 'right'
    way of doing it.

    Open the image, then from the drop down menus choose
    Image/Adjustments/Gradient Map. In the box 'Gradient used for grayscale
    mapping' choose the 3rd from the left on the top line 'Black,White' and
    click OK. Then choose Enhance from the drop down menus and go to Adust
    Brightness/Contrast then Brightness/Contrast...... and move the sliders to
    get the effect you want.

    I know it's obvious, and apologies if you already know this, but don't
    forget to 'save' the original image before you start playing with it.

    Hope that makes sense, email me if it doesn't. I'm relatively new to
    Elements 2 myself.

    Regards

    Mike

    Mike Mc, Jul 18, 2004
  4. Jimmy Smith

    Paul H. Guest

    Here's a link to an Adobe PDF file describing a method of color to b&w
    conversion which I use from time to time:

    www.adobe.com/tips/phs8colorbw/pdfs/phs8colorbw.pdf

    Simple de-saturation often yields less than satisfactory results.

    Paul H., Jul 19, 2004