    6. Can anyone please comment on the pros or cons of these 'color spaces'?
    TIA
    Joe Arnold

    PhotoMan, Dec 16, 2003

  2. PhotoMan

    Dave Guest

    Dave, Dec 16, 2003

  3. PhotoMan

    Bob Hatch Guest

    Pay close attention to the Will Crockett link in Dave's post. If you are
    using your images for printing on Fuji, Noritsu, or most other lab printers
    or most all inkjet you should stick with sRGB from camera to printer.

    Bob Hatch, Dec 16, 2003
  4. PhotoMan

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: "PhotoMan"
    For some reason this topic always generates a lot more passion than it deserves
    :)

    Anyway, your camera has its own native gamut, which is certainly wider than
    sRGB and probably a bit wider than ARGB. Photoshop wants you to switch to an
    abstract "working space" like those mentioned for a couple of reasons instead
    of using the native device space though, mainly because the abstract working
    spaces are grey-balanced and more perceptually uniform.

    You can use either sRGB or AdobeRGB but sRGB has a smaller gamut (fewer crayons
    in the Crayola box) and was designed to match the gamut of the average
    uncalibrated monitor.

    Basically if you are outputting to a desktop inkjet like those by Epson or
    Canon, or to a high end printer like the LightJet then you're better off with
    AdobeRGB since these devices have a wide enough gamut to make use of the
    additional shades of color, if these are present in your image. If your target
    is the web or the on-line print services or the local labs like Wal-Mart or
    similar that use the Fuji printers then sRGB is a better choice since the gamut
    is a closer match to these targets.

    You can work on the file in AdobeRGB and convert a copy to sRGB for the web or
    the Fuji-like printers with Image > Mode > Convert to Profile in Photoshop (at
    least in V7 and CS, I think it's identical for V6), which keeps your options
    open. Lot of people do this (keep the file in the largest space and convert to
    a narrower space if need be), especially if you are going to be printing on a
    good inkjet (AdobeRGB) and also want to reduce the dimensions and make a jpeg
    for the web (sRGB).

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 16, 2003