    2) The D90 seems more prone to yellowing of colors, especially in
    daylight, so I'm thinking my next step should be to offset with WB.

    Check it out and let me know what you think.

    eNo, Apr 21, 2009

  2. eNo

    whinee Guest

    The last entry in your site indicates you have discovered why you can only
    do what you want to do with RAW images.
    Why any experienced photographer would expect that in-camera processing from
    one camera model would exactly match another is something I fail to
    understand. The algorithms that control in-camera processing are not
    designed for critical work but to produce results that engineers/designers
    find aesthetically pleasing.
    I did find your sample noise comparisons of the D80 and D90 useful as the
    latter clearly has significantly lower noise. This can help me justify
    purchasing a camera I want although I really do not need for my diminishing
    time to devote to photography.
    Although if the gods are kind and Sony/Nikon lower the price of a full frame
    sensor to more reasonable levels . . .

    whinee, Apr 21, 2009

  3. eNo

    eNo Guest

    Well, as an engineer, this not-so-experienced photographer would
    expect engineer/designers to provide a mechanism to achieve consistent
    results across the product line. They do so for the higher end models,
    BTW -- the whole point of the D2X... Picture controls. And while
    engineers may like certain color profiles better, why they would
    change their mind by the time the next model is realized is more
    puzzling than expecting different models to give me the same colors,
    don't you think? I have a feeling that engineering preference for one
    color profile over another had nothing to do with why the D90 and D80
    render colors differently. It has to do with limitations or
    performance profiles of the underlying electronics.
    I'm glad you found this helpful. The sample photos I posted actually
    do little justice to the practical results I get on a weekly basis
    when shooting with the D90 in low-lit conditions. It's really a
    remarkable piece of electronics.
    That D700 would be nice, but I really don't want to afford it right
    now.

    eNo, Apr 22, 2009
  4. eNo

    me Guest

    As an engineer you do understand that these two cameras utilize
    sensors of a completely differing technology, right? CCD vs. CMOS.

    me, Apr 22, 2009