    A slightly different question is, if I start selling prints online, how do I
    ensure customers will not complain the prints they get have the wrong color,
    too dark, too bright, etc?

    peter, Aug 10, 2004

  2. peter

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: "peter"
    Should be pretty close, unless you have a lot of colors that are out-of-gamut
    for the printer they use.
    No way to avoid problems since people viewing images on the web "see" them
    based on how their monitors are calibrated and set up, and the vast majority of
    people don't have calibrated monitors. Plus, there is little or no color
    management support in the browsers most people use so there's no way to
    guarantee others see the same colors.

    About the best you can do is put a test strip on your site with a range of
    black-to-white patches and tell people they should be able to see the X white
    patch and the Y black patch if their brightness and contrast are set right, but
    in truth most of the people who have problems likely won't know how to make
    these adjustments either.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 10, 2004