    Thanks, John. Interesting reading.

    I'm a fan of the "random array", which I have not heard discussed anywhere,
    other than in Robert Cook's Distributed Resampling paper circa 1984.

    Mike Russell, Dec 17, 2007

  2. Mike Russell

    Quadibloc Guest

    I have a web page on a great many subjects...

    and one of its pages,

    http://www.quadibloc.com/other/cfaint.htm

    talks about the designs of color filter arrays used with the CCD image
    detectors in cameras. Of course, nearly all of them use the well-known
    Bayer pattern, but a few do use different approaches.

    I mention SONY's "emerald" color - sadly, not used in their Alpha 1000
    digital SLR (first that model, and now one from Pentax, are becoming
    *affordable*!) - and recently, I added information about the unusual
    Super CCD designs from Fujifilm. (I don't describe them in as much
    detail as elsewhere on the web, however.)

    Inspired by them, I added new illustrations showing how the gap
    between a *hexagonal* grid, which some might think to be theoretically
    superior to a square grid, and the grid of square pixels needed for
    the end product might be bridged.

    Other stuff that's been around on the page for some time include a
    description of how a beam splitter might be used to allow a full 36 x
    24 mm effective detector to be built up from cheaper small detectors,
    and how a Soleil-Babinet compensator might be used to make a camera
    that is a reasonably-priced *imaging spectrometer*.

    The RAW files from a camera like *that* would be rather big, and using
    that feature of the camera would only work for long exposures... but
    it would allow *maximum* color fidelity, since the response of the
    human eye could be matched exactly (and any compensation for lighting
    could be done)... and the usefulness for things like astrophotography
    would be even greater, of course.

    John Savard

    Quadibloc, Dec 18, 2007

  3. Mike Russell

    Paul Furman Guest

    Ha!
    I like this one: http://www.quadibloc.com/other/images/hh5.gif
    I had not heard of Emerald. It's interesting how many subtleties of
    green can be distinguished... if you ever tried matching a green from
    standard color chips that becomes obvious.

    Paul Furman, Dec 18, 2007
  4. Mike Russell

    Quadibloc Guest

    That was the one I added the most recently. And I've added a bit more
    to that page now, to make some facts about that array clearer - one
    diagram showing how it would relate to square pixels, and that diagram
    itself has been adjusted so that the difference in lightness used to
    mark out the hexagons is more visible.

    John Savard

    Quadibloc, Dec 19, 2007