Color film negative to positive image conversion?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JimCo, Oct 21, 2011.

  1. JimCo

    JimCo Guest

    Does anyone know of a good device or program to convert color film
    negatives to positive digital images? I've found one advertised, but
    it really does not come out and say that it converts negative to
    positive; just that it digitizes them. Reviews I've read about it are
    not favorable.(It's called the Cordless Slide and Negative to Digital
    Picture Converter, from Hammacher Schlemmer.) I need to convert some
    color negative film strips into positive digital images so that I can
    restore them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 9. My Nikon Coolpix has a
    slide copier adapter that allows me to copy 35-mm slides to JPEG, and
    I can use that to copy negatives as well; just not converting them to
    positives, of course. So I can copy the negatives into JPEG negative
    images, but I need to convert these into positive JPEGs. Thanx for any
    JimCo, Oct 21, 2011
    1. Advertisements

  2. JimCo

    Irwell Guest

    Irfanview has a negative mode which should work.
    Irwell, Oct 21, 2011
    1. Advertisements

  3. JimCo

    ted Guest

    Am I missing something? Pretty much any negative scanner scans to a positive
    image. My "Nikon Super CoolScan 9000 ED Film Scanner" certainly does.

    But why buy a scanner? Just take them to Ritz Camera or Walgreens
    or whatever and tell them you want your negatives put on CD. You'll
    get positive jpgs that way.
    ted, Oct 21, 2011
  4. JimCo

    ray Guest

    GIMP. Colors -> Invert
    ray, Oct 21, 2011
  5. JimCo

    Trevor Guest

    Well there's the negatives color mask to worry about as well, but that's all
    normally taken care of in the software that comes with any negative/slide
    scanner, or generic ones such as Vuescan.

    Trevor, Oct 22, 2011
  6. JimCo

    ray Guest

    That would be true, I've done that with Xsane and Imagescan - however I
    get the impression from the OP that he's not using a scanner. Rather
    using digital camera to photograph the slides.
    ray, Oct 23, 2011
  7. JimCo

    Trevor Guest

    Good point, but negatives not slides or there would be no problem. So you
    still need to compensate for the negative color mask, and you can still do
    it in Vuescan (and others) by starting with an image file rather than a
    scanner. You can do it in any photo editor such as Photoshop or Gimp too of
    course. However if he knew how to do it he wouldn't have asked I guess :)

    Trevor, Oct 23, 2011
  8. JimCo

    Lucas Guest

    As simple as it can be: once scanned (any scanning device will do, even your
    Coolpix-adapter), use "Paint", free with Windows; select "image", and
    execute "negative" (or CTRL-I = invert). This converts both ways: neg to pos
    and vice versa.
    Lucas, Oct 23, 2011
  9. []
    ... and what about the orange mask?

    David J Taylor, Oct 23, 2011
  10. JimCo

    Trevor Guest

    Add another orange mask to the inverted image.

    Trevor, Oct 24, 2011
  11. Thanks, Trevor. I though that all the "use the negative image" remarks
    were missing something out!

    David J Taylor, Oct 24, 2011
  12. JimCo

    Trevor Guest

    Yep, as I said it's not difficult. If your negatives have a blank area at
    the start or end of the film strip, simply shoot that as well as the photo
    you are after. That will be more accurate than using software approximation
    as with most film scanner software anyway. Make sure the two exposures are
    the same of course, with no auto white balance etc.
    Or you may find simply selecting a gey tone to set color balance in your
    photo editing software is sufficient, try whatever works best for you.

    Trevor, Oct 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.