    collision domain can transfer packets at a time. All the computers in
    the broadcast domain will be listening to all the packets.

    If this is wrong, please correct me.

    Vijaya, Jul 7, 2003

  2. :I seek some help regarding the difference between collision domain and
    :broadcast domain. According to my knowledge only one computer in
    :collision domain can transfer packets at a time. All the computers in
    :the broadcast domain will be listening to all the packets.

    Broadcast domain is the logical set of computers reachable without
    going through a router. For most IP broadcasts, the broadcast domain is
    limited to the logical IP subnet.

    Collision domain is at a lower layer, and refers to the set of
    devices that there could be a packet collision with. The collision
    domain could include devices in other IP subnets. wikipedia.org says,

    A collision domain can be a single segment of Ethernet cable in
    shared-media Ethernet, or a single Ethernet hub in twisted-pair
    Ethernet, or even a whole network of hubs and repeaters.

    Walter Roberson, Jul 7, 2003

  3. Vijaya

    theapplebee

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    USA
    Collision domain is on hub type of device or same segment of Ethernet.
    Broadcasting domain means such as between Ethernet segment or switch.

    Sharing Cisco Expertise : www.ipBalance.com

    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
    theapplebee, Oct 31, 2009