  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Where did all the DBA's go?

    Guest, May 13, 2004

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Now i have a riddle

    you are walking down a path that comes to two gates..
    At each gate is a guard
    You must ask one guard one and only one question
    one guard will only tell truth, the other only lies
    you do not know which tells the truth and which tells the lie
    only one gate leads to saft
    you must choose one gate or the othe
    you must go forward you can not turn bac

    what is the question and who do you ask

    Guest, May 13, 2004

  3. Guest

    TechGeekPro Guest

    Are you a liar?

    Ask either one.

    Now, test yeur speling skil.

    TechGeekPro, May 14, 2004
  4. Guest

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    No. If you ask the truthful one if he's a liar, he'll say no (truthfully).
    If you ask the liar if he's a liar, he'll say no (lying). Now, you've got 2
    "no" answers. What do you do with them? You can't tell which one is true and
    which one is a lie.
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    SPOILER (I think)
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    However, if you ask one of them something to the effect of "If I ask the
    other guard if this gate leads to safety, what would he say?", then you'll
    be able to figure out which gate to take.
    For the sake of argument, Gate A leads to safety, Gate B leads to the
    seventh circle of Hell (of course, we don't know this at the time of the
    question, but we have to start somewhere)
    Ask Guard A what Guard B would say regarding Gate A:
    "What would Guard B say if I asked him if Gate A leads to safety?". Well,
    Guard A knows Guard B is a liar (we're assuming - we'll get to the reverse
    situation in a minute), so he'd tell us exactly what Guard B would say.
    Which, since Gate A is safe, is "no, Gate A leads to Hell."
    Now, ask Guard B what Guard A would say regarding Gate A:
    "What would Guard A say if I asked him if Gate A leads to safety?" Well,
    Guard B knows that Guard A always tells the truth. So he'd LIE ABOUT what
    Guard A would say. Since Guard A would say that Gate A leads to safety, he'd
    tell us that Gate A leads to Hell.

    So, since we know that one of them is lying (and both answers are the same),
    then Gate A CAN'T lead to Hell. So we choose Gate A.

    Now it's time for bed.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, May 14, 2004
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    wrong question
    and if you disagree explain how that will result in determining the correct gate

    just excuse the typo

    ----- TechGeekPro wrote: ----

    Are you a liar

    Ask either one

    Now, test yeur speling skil

    Guest, May 14, 2004
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    a swimming pool takes 60 minutes to fil
    You start filling at 9:00 a
    the volume of the pool increase twice every minut
    What time is the pool half full?

    Guest, May 14, 2004
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Very good Ken but you must come to this conclusion by asking only one question.

    ask either guard

    What gate would the other guard say leads to safty?

    now the logic

    if you ask the liar, whose gate lead to destruction,
    his response to the question is "this one " -- this is the only possible answer for the liar
    take the other gate
    notice the paradox

    if you ask the truthfull guard the same question
    his response would be the "other one" -- being the only possible answer to the question for the truthful guard
    take his gate

    Guest, May 14, 2004
  8. Guest

    TechGeekPro Guest

    After making my post, I realized my answer was wrong. A thousands apologizes
    please.

    TechGeekPro, May 14, 2004
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    TEKGeekPro
    After making my post, I realized my answer was wrong. A thousands apologize
    please

    RE
    no problemo amigo or amiga
    these are for learning fun

    I should read before sendin
    Now i have a riddle!
    you are walking down a path that comes to two gates. At each gate is a guard. You must ask one guard one and only one question. One guard will only tell truth, the other only lies. You do not know which tells the truth and which tells the lie. Only one gate leads to safety you must choose one gate or the other. You must go forward, you can not turn back. What is the question and who do you ask?

    The answer matrix

    Ask one guard, It does not matter which one, the following Question

    “Which gate would the other guard say leads to safety†(or some reasonable wording of the same)

    Guard Liar Truthful Truthful Lia
    Gate Safety Destruction Safety Destructio
    Answer The Other One This One That One This On

    The Logic is such that Both guards will always answer
    with instruction to take the gate leading to destruction
    so in any case take the opposite gate.
    the truthful guard will give you the truth by telling you what the liar would say
    the liar would lie to you about what the truthful guard would say

    Guest, May 14, 2004
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    just a wild guess but 30min so 9:30am

    Guest, May 14, 2004
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Logical guess:
    take a look again

    HINT:
    e^lambda*t
    or
    exp((ln(2)/t1/2)*t)

    Guest, May 14, 2004
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    9:59 am

    Guest, May 14, 2004
  13. Guest

    Bob Holmes Guest

    You beat me to it.
    It took me several minutes just to interpret the question as being that the
    volume of water in the pool doubles every minute.

    Bob Holmes, May 14, 2004
  14. Guest

    Brian Guest

    Seen Labyrinth recently, have we?

    "You remind me of the babe"

    Brian, May 14, 2004
  15. Guest

    Neil Guest

    have you looked over there -------->

    Neil, May 14, 2004
  16. Guest

    Brian Guest

    Maybe the link to post anonymously is broken. That's what happened to the
    MCDST group. The web link points to the wrong place.

    Brian, May 14, 2004
  17. Guest

    Jtyc Guest

    Bah! Stolen from Dr. Who!

    In the next chamber he leaves Sarah for a second and she is immediately
    encased in a glass tube--a textron crucible. The Doctor tells her not to
    panic, but he can't get her out. Two service robots appear and a recorded
    message calls them the Twin Guardians of Horus. The Doctor must solve a
    Sphinx-like riddle, involving two buttons outside Sarah's narrow prison. One
    provides instant freedom; the other instant death. One Guardian is
    programmed to tell the truth; the other to lie; and the Doctor can ask only
    one question.

    The Doctor asks the nearest Guardian, "If I were to ask your fellow Guardian
    the question, which switch would he indicate?" The Guardian points. The
    Doctor works it out aloud: "If you're the true Guardian, that must be the
    death switch; if you're the automatic liar, you'd be trying to mislead me,
    so that must still be the death switch." He pushes the other switch and
    frees Sarah; the Guardians disappear.

    Jtyc, May 14, 2004
  18. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Different mothers.

    I need more of a challenge here...

    Guest, May 14, 2004
  19. Guest

    Bob Holmes Guest

    They are two of a larger number of multiples, perhaps triplets, quads, etc.

    Bob Holmes, May 14, 2004
  20. Guest

    Guest Guest

    takethe blue pill! take the blue pill!