    use CMYK ink cartridges -- my document's images print fine as RGB, CMYK
    or a mixture on the same page.

    Why can't that work for professional print jobs?

    Livewire, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Livewire

    Kenny Guest

    printers drivers convert the image colors so that the image is printed
    correctly.
    But the professional printers that print on film dont. They need CMYK.
    Have in mind that if you use COREL DRAW 9 and up you can have your images
    in RGB and have the output converted to a file that is CMYK.

    Kenny, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Livewire

    Livewire Guest

    Yes, but why not? It would surely ease life to take away the need to
    distinguish between CMYK and RGB.

    Livewire, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Livewire

    Parko Guest

    Convert your publication file into a PDF. That'll fix the problem.
    Alternatively get another printer, one that's competent.

    Parko, Jan 7, 2005
  5. Livewire

    Bri. Guest

    In Livewire typed...
    Because, RGB is additive; from black, colour is added, as in a monitor.

    CMYK is subtractive: Starting with white, the final colour is acquired
    by removing others. This is required for professional printing.

    Please see:-
    http://www.neuro.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~aly/polygon/info/color-space-faq.html

    Scroll down to-
    5.1 - RGB, CMY, and CMYK

    Bri., Jan 7, 2005
  6. Livewire

    Livewire Guest

    But I still don't see why laser toner or inkjet ink -- effectively being
    supplied from a separated printing plate -- work while professional
    printers can't do the same.

    Livewire, Jan 7, 2005
  7. Livewire

    Ingeborg Guest

    Of course the professional printer /could/ do the same, but since
    everybody delivers their printjobs in CMYK, nobody is going to change the
    software.

    Ingeborg, Jan 7, 2005
  8. Livewire

    Bri. Guest

    In Livewire typed...
    [snip]
    Inkjets do use CMYK - they convert the RGB you send to them into CMYK,
    as Kenny said.

    It's more professional to use CMYK (un-messed with) on the press.

    Bri., Jan 7, 2005
  9. Livewire

    Conor Guest

    Becausze they do a professional job. RGB is converted to CMYK. How the
    conversion is handled is DRIVER SPECIFIC, i.e two drivers might not
    come up with the same CMYK value for a given shade under RGB.

    By using CYMK throughout, you save this problem from happening.

    As an aside...
    My missus is a signwriter. She hates nothing more than people coming in
    with stuff they've designed using Windows fonts because although they
    look good on a screen with AA, when you've upped the size of a letter
    to 2ft square they look as jagged as hell.

    Conor, Jan 7, 2005
  10. Livewire

    Kenny Guest

    True type fonts are vectors! It doesnt matter how large you make them...
    Am I mistaken?

    Kenny, Jan 9, 2005
  11. Livewire

    Conor Guest