    I need to generate a CMYK panorama. Should I convert the three RAW
    images to CMYK TIFF, then merge them or is it ok if I convert them to
    RGB TIFF, merge them and then convert to CMYK TIFF ?

    Alfred Molon, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Alfred Molon

    Matti Vuori Guest

    There isn't any - CMYK is device dependent. The profile of the specific
    output device should be used.

    Matti Vuori, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Alfred Molon

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Alfred Molon writes ...
    There are 10 or so choices in the drop down menu for Photoshop, like
    "U.S. Webcoated SWOP v2" or, since you're in Europe, "Euroscale coated
    v2" etc. But typically these are simply starting points and you would
    ask your CMYK printer for the specifics for his press (though they
    rarely know them). In other words, there is no "standard" except for
    the Photoshop defaults and these aren't really 'standard' in the way
    the RGB abstract spaces are.
    Ask the guy doing the printing what he recommends for color space.
    I would do the work in RGB, then you can convert the profile to
    different CMYK targets later in the flow as needed.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jun 25, 2005
  4. I suggest doing all work in 16-bit mode. I was recently
    preparing some prints for a gallery showing and converting
    to CMYK using profiles, and one of my images came out noticeably
    posterized. I redid it in 16-bit, then converted to 8-bit and it
    came out much better. I edit in RGB, LAB and CMYK, and when
    converting back and forth, as well as editing, 16-bit mode
    minimizes losses.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jun 26, 2005