    remove the old battery ? If so what do I do ?

    TIA,
    Frank F.

    Frank fensome, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Frank fensome

    Emrys Davies Guest

    You need to make a note of your Bios Settings so that you can replace
    any that is lost in the process.

    I don't think that anyone will tell you what particular settings you
    should record as it is a grey area. Best to record all of them, just in
    case.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Frank fensome

    mark mandell Guest

    There's a program called CMOS save. Check it out at one of the search
    engines by typing in "CMOS save". I downloaded it onto a floppy.

    mark mandell, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Frank fensome

    °Mike° Guest

    If your computer is losing 10 hours overnight, you have probably
    lost many, if not all custom settings. Just replace the battery;
    defaults will be loaded in the case of lost settings.

    °Mike°, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Frank fensome

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    And when you change the CMOS battery, dead hard drives magically come back to
    life, right Mike? :)

    Meat-->Plow, Oct 29, 2003
  6. Frank fensome

    Ron Martell Guest

    On older machines that used an external battery which connected to the
    motherboard using a 2-wire cable it was possible to replace the
    battery while the computer was running, thereby preserving the
    settings.

    Not recommended with the coin type batteries that fit into a
    motherboard socket, but technically it should also work with these.
    If you can safely get at the battery without touching other adjacent
    components.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Oct 29, 2003
  7. Frank fensome

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'Ron',

    If I have not interfered in any way with my Bios settings since I bought
    my computer what settings, if any, are likely to be lost if I change my
    battery?

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Oct 30, 2003
  8. Frank fensome

    °Mike° Guest

    None.

    °Mike°, Oct 30, 2003
  9. Frank fensome

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Yes. Before removing the battery note down all the settings.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Barry OGrady, Oct 30, 2003
  10. Frank fensome

    Barry OGrady Guest

    All, though some will revert to defaults.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Barry OGrady, Oct 30, 2003
  11. Frank fensome

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    You may, according to Mike, find a long lost hard drive magically reappear after
    replacing the CMOS battery.

    Meat-->Plow, Oct 30, 2003