    2023wlmi Pmc/725-1.6 still in the box. It is a birthday present for my
    daughter and I would like to set it up ready for the big day (18th) !

    My ISP is Wanadoo with 1.1mb broadband. Thanks, Ant.

    anthony cox, Feb 23, 2005

  2. anthony cox

    anthony cox Guest

    Sorry guys, forgot to mention pc is on xp pro, notebook on xp home. Ant.

    anthony cox, Feb 23, 2005

  3. anthony cox

    NBT Guest

    I am assuming you have connected your XP PC via ethernet cable to router
    and your Broadband connection is enabled.
    Most Gateways are configured using a web browser so open your browser
    and enter http://192.168.1.1 .Press Enter key.
    You normally then get a password box ,your Safecom manual (if you
    haven't got one you should be able to download one from manf'r web-site)
    should tell you what the "Password" and "User Name" are.Enter these and
    click OK.
    A set-up page should appear and you should be able to get the settings
    from your ISP,they are normally:-
    RFC 2364 PPPoA
    0 in VPI
    38 in VCI
    VC in multiplexing

    You may then have to fill in a user name and password ,these should have
    been provided by your ISP.

    There may be other options for you to choose.
    Save settings.

    You should now be able to connect your PC to the Internet.

    nbt

    NBT, Feb 23, 2005
  4. anthony cox

    NBT Guest

    PT 2
    If your XP PC connects to the Internet continue to set up the wireless
    function .Again using the Web Browser as before you should find a set up
    page for wireless ,it should contain similar information to this(I have left
    out the Encryption section)

    Wireless Network

    Check the Laptop to see if it is 11b or 11g

    .. Wireless Network Mode. If you have 802.11g and 802.11b devices in your
    network, then keep the default

    setting, Mixed. If you have only 802.11g devices, select 802.11g. If you
    have only 802.11b devices, select

    802.11b. If you want to disable wireless networking, select Disabled.

    .. Wireless Network Name (SSID). Enter the name for your wireless network
    into the field. The SSID is the

    network name shared among all devices in a wireless network. The SSID must
    be identical for all devices in

    the wireless network. It is case-sensitive and must not exceed 32
    alphanumeric characters, which may be

    any keyboard character. It recommends that you change the default SSID
    (linksys) to a unique name of

    your choice.

    .. Wireless Channel. Select the appropriate channel from the list provided to
    correspond with your network

    settings, between 1 and 1x . All devices in your wireless network must use
    the same

    channel in order to function correctly. (Remember to check your daughters
    Laptop)

    Wireless Security

    .. Wireless SSID Broadcast. When wireless clients survey the local area for
    wireless networks to associate with,

    they will detect the SSID broadcast by the Gateway. To broadcast the
    Gateway's SSID, keep the default

    setting, Enabled. If you do not want to broadcast the Gateway's SSID, then
    select Disabled.

    Wireless Network Access

    Wireless Network Access. If you select Allow All, all computers will be
    allowed access to the wireless network.

    To restrict access to the network, select Restrict Access to Computers
    below. Click the Select MAC Address

    From Networked Computers button.(To see the MAC address of your daughters
    laptop it will need to be switched on and looking for a WiFi network)

    Select the MAC Address from the list and click the Select box, then click
    the Select button.

    Click the Refresh button if you want to refresh the screen. Click the Close
    button to return to the previous screen.

    When finished making your changes on this tab, click the Save Settings
    button to save these changes, or click

    the Cancel Changes button to undo your changes.

    WIRELESS NETWORKS ARE NOT VERY SECURE SO READ UP ON THEM BEFORE LEAVING YOUR
    WIRELESS FUNCTION OPERATING.

    For starters http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8698

    nbt

    NBT, Feb 23, 2005
  5. anthony cox

    NBT Guest

    Check with Wanadoo that the line has actually been activated.

    nbt

    NBT, Feb 23, 2005
  6. anthony cox

    NBT Guest

    Remove your speedtouch modem .Connect an ethernet cable from your
    Network connection on your computer(this assumes you have an onboard
    ethernet card either as part of the motherboard or as a separate card)
    to one of the ports on your Safecom.The Safecom should have a small
    socket for connecting a telephone cable connect this to your
    microfilter(basically replacing your USB one) check to see if if your
    DSL and Internet leds are lit .Try to connect to Internet.

    For the time being allow all computers access to the router ,it can be
    secured later.
    The Mac address can be found by typing
    ipconfig /all
    at the cmd prompt and looking at the "physical address"
    you can check this later on the router to see if the router has
    recognised them(this will apply to your PC as well).

    Not knowing the laptop it's possible it will autoscan for a wireless
    network and pick the one your are setting up(Whatever is showing in the
    SSID in the router should be displayed in the avaiable wireless networks
    on your laptop)

    Minor point your clock is showing about 8 Hrs ahead of GMT could you
    reset it and check router is on GMT(I assume you are in UK).

    NBT, Feb 23, 2005
  7. anthony cox

    PeeGee Guest

    Just to ask the obvious :)
    Are these the same as the modem?
    You do have the username/password setup?

    ("usual" settings: VPI=0, VCI=38, Data encapsulation PPP0A VC-Mux
    though cannot vouch for Wanadoo)
    PeeGee

    PeeGee, Feb 23, 2005
  8. anthony cox

    NBT Guest

    Sorry it's taken so long to reply but I have been trying to download the
    manual ,without any success.I have also been trying to find out what
    settings Wanadoo use ,also without any success.Could you try these
    settings.I am going to have another trawl for Wanadoo but you may have to
    contact them to confirm what settings should be used

    NBT, Feb 23, 2005
  9. anthony cox

    PeeGee Guest

    I assumed you were taking the settings list from the Safecom unit.

    I have the SAMR-4110, so don't know how it compares with pages,
    but if you go into the unit via a browser, and select "advanced setup"
    there should be a status page with a menu on the left if it's like
    mine.

    Is that ok so far?
    PeeGee

    PeeGee, Feb 23, 2005
  10. anthony cox

    NBT Guest

    I think most of the settings you will not be using for the time being
    and we just need to concentrate on getting your basic internet
    connection set up .Did the above settings have any affect.

    NBT, Feb 23, 2005
  11. anthony cox

    PeeGee Guest

    Select PPP status and then "check WAN configuration" link

    This should give a list of entries for the "virtual circuit"

    You can then set the various options as NBT suggested and make sure
    you "submit" and "save settings/reboot" to restart the connection.
    PeeGee

    PeeGee, Feb 23, 2005
  12. anthony cox

    PeeGee Guest

    Assuming its the router, it's probably in a page called something like
    "misc configuration", As always, submit and then reboot to fix the
    settings.

    PeeGee

    PeeGee, Feb 23, 2005
  13. anthony cox

    PeeGee Guest

    As I said, my unit is a different model, so I'm guessing a bit :(

    I would guess ADSL Modem is next

    but also check System Time for the correct time/time zone setup.

    PeeGee

    PeeGee, Feb 23, 2005
  14. anthony cox

    NBT Guest

    NBT, Feb 23, 2005
  15. anthony cox

    PeeGee Guest

    Another obvious question - do you have the correct time zone setup in
    Windows (via rt click on clock in taskbar and select adjust time)
    PeeGee

    PeeGee, Feb 23, 2005
  16. anthony cox

    PeeGee Guest

    PeeGee, Feb 23, 2005
  17. anthony cox

    NBT Guest

    If you followed the above guide did you pick BT for the default settings(I
    eventually found a site which confirmed Wanadoo use the same as BT).Did you
    then get a connection fail screen after a few minutes and was your ADSL LED
    permanently on or was the LED off.

    nbt

    NBT, Feb 23, 2005
  18. anthony cox

    anthony cox Guest

    Wow! what can I say! I have been able so far to network the pc and the
    notebook, each recognises the other. Cannot connect to the internet via
    router, all plugs ok, settings must be incorrect. All I want is to share my
    internet connection (pc) with the notebook (also printer share). Thanks for
    advice so far, lots to try. Will get back to you with report.

    anthony cox, Feb 24, 2005
  19. anthony cox

    anthony cox Guest

    Ok, configured most of what you suggested, but problems with the following:

    1 - "Wireless Channel. Select the appropriate channel from the list provided
    correspond with your network

    settings, between 1 and 1x . All devices in your wireless network must use
    the same

    channel in order to function correctly. (Remember to check your daughters
    Laptop)" - how do I do this on the laptop?
    2 - "To broadcast the
    Gateway's SSID, keep the default

    setting, Enabled. If you do not want to broadcast the Gateway's SSID, then
    select Disabled." - how do I disable it? No buttons for this?

    3 - "To restrict access to the network, select Restrict Access to Computers
    below. Click the Select MAC Address

    From Networked Computers button.(To see the MAC address of your daughters
    laptop it will need to be switched on and looking for a WiFi network)

    Select the MAC Address from the list and click the Select box, then click
    the Select button." - again, these options are different in the panel in
    front of me! I can restrict access to specific MAC addresses but exactly
    how, in layman's terms, do I find the MAC address for the laptop? The user
    manual for this device is particularly poor for begginers, I knew this when
    I bought the unit but enjoy a chalenge. I just thought I would be able to
    get some novice walkthrough instructions from the experienced guys! Would
    appreciate some more detailed instruction from you NBT, as you seem to know
    a considerable amount on the subject.

    Regards, Ant.

    anthony cox, Feb 24, 2005
  20. anthony cox

    anthony cox Guest

    Wanadoo broadband no problem, been online for 2 months, this connection is
    via speedtouch usb modem! Do I need to connect via safecom unit to share
    connection or can I just use use it as a router? Would prefer to get it
    running properly!
    Ant.

    anthony cox, Feb 24, 2005