    it's ready to go as is? Do I need any add-on to the laptop? I appreciate any
    info, since, as I said in the subject line, I'm clueless on this wireless stuff.
    Thanks.

    rfdjr1, Sep 14, 2005

  2. rfdjr1

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You'll need a wireless cable modem router. You connect the modem to the WAN
    on the router, connect your PC to the CAT5 LAN, and of course the laptop
    uses the wireless. I don't think you're gonna get 100 feet out of it. Plus
    outdoors use many laptop screens are unreadable. Your average home is
    usually adequately covered by the typical router, but there may be areas
    with dropouts.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 14, 2005

  3. rfdjr1

    FML Guest

    I've got a Linksys WRT54G router and I can sit out by my swimming pool
    (at least 100 feet) and get an "Excellent" signal. True that there is
    nothing but windows between the laptop and the router. I can also
    connect to my idiot neighbor's Netgear router (unsecured, wide open,
    default password) and it is a good 50 yards thru two brick walls with a
    "good" signal.

    FML, Sep 14, 2005
  4. rfdjr1

    Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote in
    You could just get another wireless card and put it into the desktop and
    use AD-Hoc mode between the two wireless cards with ICS. However, from what
    I have read and seen in a wireless NG, XP, wireless and ICS is suspect to
    say the least about it with with frequent drop outs and not working on XP
    for no explained reasons.

    Your best bet is to get a wire/wireless AP NAT router and make it the
    gateway device of the LAN and WAN for the machines.

    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 14, 2005
  5. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    Okay. Thanks for the replies. But what confuses me is opening a flyer from
    CompUSA or Circuit City and seeing two dozen different routers. What are the
    differences? Which basic router do I need to look for? Also, on the laptop, I
    need nothing else? Does that wireless card have a little antenna on it? I saw
    one on TV tonight and it looked like a little antenna sticking up from the side.
    Thanks agian.

    rfdjr1, Sep 14, 2005
  6. rfdjr1

    FML Guest

    As I said in my previous post, I am very happy with my Linksys WRT54G
    router. However, just about all the routers from reputable vendors
    (Netgear, Belkin, D-Link, Linksys to name a few) work right out of the
    box. Obvioulsy you want a "G" router that will support 54Mbps. There are
    plenty of articles on the web that compare routers.

    My laptop has built in Wifi with no visible antenna. Regardless, your
    laptop should be good to go as soon as it has something to connect to
    (the wifi router). It is relatively simple and straight forward.

    There are a few things you'll want to do like change the default
    password and SSID on the router, turn on WPA, disable SSID broadcasting,
    enable MAC filtering etc to somewhat secure your network from casual
    bandwidth thieves. You may want to read this:

    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm

    FML, Sep 14, 2005
  7. rfdjr1

    Mitch Guest

    No reason to think the differences are meaningful.
    You didn't write anything that suggests buying a specific model or
    brand.
    I wonder if readers here have some brands to stay away from?
    The card doesn't have the antenna if it's built in -- the laptop body
    does. If you add the wireless networking via a PC card, it has to have
    the antenna sticking out.

    Mitch, Sep 14, 2005
  8. rfdjr1

    Klaus Guest

    Before you buy a WLAN router I would check a couple of things

    1) Do you like to you Voice Over IP in the future (VOIP) ?
    If yes, you might want to look for a routing device supporting this like the
    Linksys WRT54GP2, Zyxel P-2602H/HW/HWL. The router should support the SIP
    protocol, Quality of Service (QoS) and should have at least two RJ11 voice
    ports for analog phones or fax machines.

    2) Which kind of security level do you like on your WLAN ?
    WEP encryption is pretty unsecure so your router should support WPA or even
    better WPA2.

    3)Nearly every WLAN router offers a Firewall but you might have kids using
    your internet connection and think about a URL or even better content
    filtering blocking unwanted sites. A couple of Zyxel routers offer you such
    a service (like the already mentioned P-2602H/HW/HWL). URL filtering is as
    well often provided by Netgear (no clue about Linksys.

    3) If you like to use or video streaming services in the future like in
    Europe Hight Definition TV (HDTV) which will most likely be send over
    broadband lines you need support for the QoS protocol. Some of the router
    vendors call it multimedia support.

    4)Do you like to have an internal or external DSL modem ?
    If you like to have an internal DSL modem make sure it is ready for the
    future like supporting (ADSL2+)

    5) I would as well consider the use of MIMO technology if the conditions for
    WLAN's based on the building are difficult (like the Linksys WAP54GX,
    NetGear WPN824) If you do not want MIMO look at least for a model where you
    can change the antenna.

    I could go on for a while giving you hints on what you might look for. I am
    actually facing the same problem as I like to buy meyself a new routing
    device. I am currently running a Netgear FWAG114 facing several problems
    which will not be fixed. The support is actually pretty bad. So another
    issue is support. With the Linksys routers (based on Linux / OpenSource)
    there is a big community pushing issues to get fixed pretty fast. And there
    are a lot of forums providing cool solutions for any kind of problem.

    I hope I did not confuse you too much....

    Klaus

    Klaus, Sep 14, 2005
  9. rfdjr1

    Fred Tehbot Guest

    , <>, whose name means "high-heeled
    anal-joyrider; lives in a trailer park; 70's throwback; takes his mother
    along on first dates", squalled:
    Are you capable of it?
    I've outgrown that.
    Don't tell me you are buying is an intel pentium m processor 740 (1.73
    ghz/2mb cache/533mhz fsb) based machine, I don't believe it.
    I certainly don't.
    I am sometimes assuming with the processor and the wireless card in the
    laptop too.
    You can't have everything you want.
    Ah, clues. The tawdry accoutrements of cheap street whores.
    Thanks for your time. I am looking forward to your reply.

    Fred Tehbot, Sep 14, 2005
  10. rfdjr1

    Fred Guest

    I have a Belkin wireless router which I simply plugged in to phone socket,
    power supply, and was up and running in two minutes. I do not have an attena
    on my laptop but it works 4 to 5 houses away. Brochure says 1500 feet.

    Fred, Sep 14, 2005
  11. rfdjr1

    Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote in
    Whatever you do, get a router that has logging so you can watch traffic
    to/from the router to possible dubious remote IP(s) with a logviwer due
    to malware that could be running on a machine or the wireless has been
    hacked.

    http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/#Routers

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 14, 2005
  12. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    Gee, thanks so much for your totally time wasting, moronic, useless reply. Why
    don't you go lurk in a kiddy porn site? Sounds like it's more on your level.

    rfdjr1, Sep 14, 2005
  13. rfdjr1

    FML Guest

    You are reprimanding a "bot" (ergo the name Fred Tehbot).

    FML, Sep 14, 2005
  14. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    Okay thanks, but what's a "bot"? Only thing I can come up with is a roBOT. YOu
    mean that reply was a generated one? Who knew?

    rfdjr1, Sep 14, 2005
  15. rfdjr1

    Top Guest

    That's exactly what he meant. We get that fairly often in here and most
    times it gets ignored.

    Top

    Top, Sep 14, 2005
  16. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    Okay, it's a new one to me. Battle weary I guess. A while ago I posted looking
    for opinions on a certain brand of laptop and someone came in flaming me all
    over the place for no good reason, claiming I worked for the company and was
    fishing for compliments. I never have understood why people who have nothing
    useful to say have to post anything at all. They try to make you feel stupid. If
    I knew all the answers, I wouldn't have to post anything here. I didn't know
    that robotic posters picked out messages then "replied" to them. SOrry if this
    bothered anyone.

    rfdjr1, Sep 15, 2005
  17. rfdjr1

    Fred Tehbot Guest

    , <>, whose name means "babbles a
    lot about nothing; painful lay, naïve and humourless; lies to women; likes
    to call his penis his 'spitting cobra'", mourned:
    Thank God I smoke.
    Kissy! Kissy!
    It's pretty silly.

    Fred Tehbot, Sep 15, 2005
  18. rfdjr1

    FML Guest

    There is a lot of good advice in this group. There are also a lot of
    people with too much time on their hands that get some sort of enjoyment
    from being trolls. With time you learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.

    FML, Sep 15, 2005
  19. rfdjr1

    Fred Tehbot Guest

    Good enough.
    TROLL! Where?
    Why should anyone learn to separate the wheat from the chaff?

    Fred Tehbot, Sep 15, 2005
  20. rfdjr1

    Top Guest

    No big deal. You didn't know but you do now. I dont' think anyone here
    was born knowing about bots. I don't remember the specific instance
    when you were flamed before but it is very possible that was a bot.
    That or one of the local trolls that haved way too much free time.

    Top

    Top, Sep 15, 2005