Clueless Matrix Collection critics...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jordan, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    Against my better judgement I bought the Matrix set (the normal one,
    not the other one) and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. The
    weakest of the 10 discs is The Animatrix whis is almost an exact
    duplicate of the original, plus a French language track and minus the
    video game trailer.

    But what really came as a surprise was the wealth of extra material I
    hadn't seen before and the alternate commentary tracks on all three
    movies.

    Track 1 is philosophers talking about the deeper meanings of the movies
    and track 2 is 3 critics talking about how they loved the first one and
    disliked the 2nd and 3rd ones.

    The second track is great because it's so unintentionally funny. Here's
    an example...

    Merovingian - "I want something that can only be given not taken...
    bring me the eyes of the oracle."

    A few moments afterwards one of the critics goes "Well, if he's so
    powerful why doesn't he just go take them?"

    Jesus... were you even LISTENING to the dialog? It was pretty well
    explained less than 50 seconds before you asked that question.

    They complain about how the dialog in the real world is meaningless and
    then they complain about how the don't understand what's going on...
    (from the bit with Bane... "Now who's he? Why is he here?")

    Man, someone needs to make a FAQ about how laughable they are, not as
    critics, but as people who fail to comprehend even simple parts of
    "dumb" action movies.

    The other thing I was afraid of is that the new releases would make my
    old discs worthless. Imagine my surprise when I found bonus materials
    unique to both (and that's saying something when they already released
    7 discs worth of Matrix stuff before the boxed set.)

    - Jordan

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Jordan

    kaydigi Guest

    Is the one hour footage from the video game on one of those disc?

    kaydigi, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    I didn't time it, but there are 23 clips total, some longer than
    others. They are all on disc 4 iirc. The quality seems better than the
    game version as well (it always seemed a little dark and a little TOO
    green in the game version.)

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Jordan

    kaydigi Guest

    Cool, thanks. Enjoy your purchase.

    kaydigi, Dec 16, 2004
  5. Jordan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Watching on a large screen, the quality of the live action clips when
    playing the video game is pretty terrible. It's compressed to hell, with
    tons of grains and compression artifacting. If the same clips on the DVD
    are up to even mediocre DVD standards (or hell, even mediocre VHS
    standards), they should look much better.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 16, 2004
  6. Jordan

    kaydigi Guest

    The game wasn't any good either.

    kaydigi, Dec 16, 2004
  7. Jordan

    Steve K. Guest

    10 discs worth for one good movie....sigh....

    Steve K., Dec 16, 2004
  8. Watching on a large screen, the quality of the live action clips when
    What version were you playing?

    It sounds like either GameCube or X-Box.

    The PS-2 probably doesn't have that problem because PS-2 FMVs are usually coded
    in MPEG2 and the PS-2 does the MPEG2 decoding in hardware. (Which was one of
    the reasons DVD playability was included in the console.)

    The other consoles rely on software codecs for the same thing. The X-Box
    relies on software MPEG2 decoding for playing DVDs, for example. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Dec 18, 2004
  9. The game wasn't any good either.
    Eh.

    Most video games based on movies are awful anyways, so the fact that the Matrix
    games were terrible doesn't surprise me at all. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Dec 18, 2004