Clueless, have patience...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Amanda, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. Amanda

    Amanda Guest

    I am completely and utterly new to this, so please excuse
    my ignorance, lack of termnology, and so forth. Anyone who
    would care to walk me through this I would greatly
    appriciate.

    I am a recent HS Graduate, and have purchased a <a
    href="http://costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?
    prodid=11000537">Toshiba</a> laptop with the following
    communication features:
    Integrated V.92/56K modem; data and fax support
    Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
    Integrated Wireless LAN (Atheros 802.11b/g)

    Now, what does this entitle me too?

    I would like to use the wireless capabilty. A friend of
    mine once upon a time had wireless on his laptop, but was
    not signed up for service and simply tapped in on his
    neighbors, or surrounding office buildings' networks. What
    do I need to purchase to do this same thing? This being
    temporary, of course, I'd like to purchase my own wireless
    service. What do I need to buy for that, and who offers
    that kind of service?

    I apologize if this all has been asked before, and I
    appriciate anyone who read through it all. Any advice
    would be meeted with extreme gratitude. Thank you very,
    very much.

    Amanda, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Amanda

    Jack Guest

    Hi.
    These are three options to connect your computers to the Internet and or
    other computers.

    DialUp Modem let you use the Internet in case you have only DialUp service
    in your geographical Area. (Like AOL).

    LAN Card (NIC) let you connect the computer to other computer (Network) or
    and use it for Internet connection if you have a Cable or DSL Internet
    service.

    Wireless is just a replacement to the wire that is necessary to connect
    Networked computers.

    Your friend tapping to his neighbor Internet via Wireless will be just like
    connecting a wire from your computer LAN card to the Neighbor Network.

    This site has few Basic pages about these issues: www.ezlan.net

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Aug 7, 2004