    I have the Olympus C720. Can anyone please advise on what are the best
    settings to picture cloudy days? I am having problem with washed out
    pictures and very white skies.

    Beck, Apr 25, 2005

  2. Cloudy days tend to be better for digital cameras. We don't have the dynamic
    range of film cameras Overcast skies shorten the dynamic range of our
    subjects. I like to shoot RAW and convert to PSD in 16 bit mode. This way I
    can take a flat image and expand it to fill the histogram. I trust my
    camera's meter most of the time and it does well on cloudy days. If you are
    usually washed out and missing any detail in a cloudy sky I would try
    setting your camera to underexpose by a stop and see if that is better.
    Might take more or less than a stop.

    Gene Palmiter, Apr 25, 2005

  3. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Sorry Gene, that whooshed over me. I don;t really know about the technical
    aspects of cameras.

    Beck, Apr 25, 2005
  4. Beck

    paul Guest

    Probably the only way to handle white skys is merging 2 exposures in an
    editor later. 'Washed out' implies low contrast though which is the
    opposite problem. Increase the contrast (may be possible to adjust in
    the camera settings?) and you blow the sky even worse.

    With RAW format that I assume you don't have, one can take advantage of
    overexposing then darkening in post processing to bring out contrast &
    cure the muddies but that doesn't help when the sky is too bright
    without 2 exposures/layers.

    So basically there is no easy answer. Avoid getting the sky & take
    advantage of shooting things that look good in soft light like people,
    flowers, whatever is normally too contrasty.

    paul, Apr 25, 2005
  5. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Thankyou Paul. You are correct, I do not have RAW facility on my camera.
    I guess I just need to practice and learn lots.

    Beck, Apr 25, 2005
  6. Beck

    Douglas Guest

    Ultra Violet light gets very strong when sunlight filters through the clouds
    and produces those grey' overcast days. I've found a polarising filter to be
    most helpful in colouring the sky on such days. Also a 'UV' filter can help
    although I don't advocate their continued use.

    Douglas

    Douglas, Apr 26, 2005
  7. Beck

    Beck Guest

    I did use a UV filter but it seemed to make the problem worse.

    Beck, Apr 26, 2005
  8. Beck

    Don Stauffer Guest

    This problem certainly predates digital. The problem is not in the
    dynamic range of the film or the digital sensor- it is a problem with
    dynamic range of print medium. It was very hard to correct this problem
    in the film days. It is much easier to correct with digital.

    There are two choices- many editors can piecewise edit the response
    curve, rounding off bottom or top (highlight or shadow details) of the
    curve.

    The other approach is to keep on file a number of stock sky images with
    good clouds and such. Then put one of these stock skies behind the
    image, select the bland sky, delete, and the stock sky shows through.

    Don Stauffer, Apr 26, 2005
  9. Beck

    JPS Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    The same concept applies in reflections off of glass with a white
    background or polished white plexiglass; I have photographed such
    reflections with +3 stops EC in RAW mode, without blowing highlights,
    and was able to expand the images back to normal contrast.

    JPS, Apr 27, 2005