    desktop and close it remotely from the laptop, but would settle for
    just closing. Is a remote software the only solution, or is the a
    simple windows method of doing this? thanks.

    lbbss, Dec 1, 2009

  2. lbbss

    Mike Easter Guest

    lbbss wrote:

    Your handle is 'lbss'? I have some suggestions about that. It is
    smarter to have a short handle which is pronouncable or at least easily
    reproducible in whole or in part by a respondant and made of ascii -
    common keyboard - chars. Some people don't seem to understand that, and
    like to make 'cute' or imaginative handles constructed in all sorts of
    juvenile ways. I suppose they would dot their 'i/s' with a heart if
    they could.
    I think this means the LT & DT are on the same network and in a mutual
    filesharing condition.
    I think this means that the problem you are trying to describe is that
    the file is inaccessible for manipulating by another computer on the
    network when it is still open on the alternate computer.
    You are trying to 'work' a file which is open by another application on
    the network without closing it with the application which has it open.
    That's not going to work, as you see.
    There isn't a simple 'windows' method of doing it - manipulating a file
    which is open in another computer in the network - in the
    condition/manner you describe. There are a number of ways of achieving
    the goals you seek, but you can't be sloppy about it as you describe.

    That is, you don't get to "forgot to close the file" (iterating what you
    said above) -- and then try to do something with it somewhere else on
    the network.

    Or, said another way, "Don't /do/ that." (that way)

    Mike Easter, Dec 1, 2009

  3. lbbss

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    www.logmein.com