    formatting the new drive? Anytime I've done that before it's been to load
    Windows XP Pro right onto it as a clean install, never as a re-install or
    cloned drive.

    Kyle :o\), Jul 22, 2007

  2. Kyle :o\)

    Vanguard Guest

    in message
    If Seagate doesn't have a download, check the other hard drive makers,
    like Maxtor. I remember one of them had a utility which included
    cloning.

    Vanguard, Jul 22, 2007

  3. Kyle :o\)

    Plato Guest

    One might try:

    http://www.xxclone.com/

    Plato, Jul 22, 2007
  4. Kyle :o\)

    Ron Martell Guest

    Most hard drive manufacturer's have a free drive cloning utility which
    you can download. Check the websites for the manufacturers of both
    the old and the new hard drive, as they often require that one of the
    drives be from that manufacturer.

    For commercial products my current favorite is Acronis True Image
    (www.acronis.com)

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Jul 22, 2007
  5. Kyle :o\)

    WhzzKdd Guest

    The last time I did this, the advanced drive setup tools called it "copy
    partition" so if they are looking through the menus, they won't find a
    "clone" option.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 22, 2007
  6. Kyle :o\)

    Star Guest

    Since you are aware of Acronis I recommend you go to their site and
    download the trial version of True Image 10 or Acronis Migrate Easy
    7.0. Eiither will do the job for you. God knows you might even be
    tempted to purchase the product.

    Art

    Star, Jul 24, 2007
  7. Kyle :o\)

    nobody > Guest

    Seagate has a "MaxBlast" utility for cloning:
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
    (http://preview.tinyurl.com/2n6byy)

    It works but it's damnable slow.

    Acronis TrueImage
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    is a hell of a lot faster. It also can create/burn images to CD/DVD
    that have a bootable first disk with the Trueimage software already
    primed to restore.

    nobody >, Aug 6, 2007