    my clock is losing time (it's constantly a few minutes behind) and I assume
    the battery needs relacement. Can it simply be exchanged or is there risk of
    losing cmos settings? What's the procedure ?

    fgphotog, Sep 25, 2003

  2. fgphotog

    °Mike° Guest

    If your clock is losing time when powered off, then it is the
    CMOS battery that needs replacing - you can simply change
    the battery. If you are worried about losing any settings,
    search Google for CMOS SAVE.

    If your clock is losing time when operating, then something
    like your antivirus, screen saver etc. is interfering with it, and
    more details are needed.

    °Mike°, Sep 25, 2003

  3. fgphotog

    JabberSmith Guest

    PC clocks in general suck.

    You can get a free application (dont use GATOR or Precision time, it's a
    spyware program) to set your clock periodically.

    Or just ignore it.

    Accurate time can be seen here:

    http://www.time.gov/

    JabberSmith, Sep 26, 2003
  4. fgphotog

    °Mike° Guest

    What are you telling me for? Reply to the original poster.

    °Mike°, Sep 26, 2003
  5. fgphotog

    stantheman Guest

    and do not short out the +/- battery conectors if you do this your cmos
    settings will be gone in the blink of an eye
    stan

    stantheman, Sep 26, 2003
  6. fgphotog

    Unknown Guest

    Battery has no effect if you are losing time while powered on. Battery
    is only used when powered off. Are you syncing your clock ?

    Unknown, Sep 26, 2003
  7. fgphotog

    PhilGreg Guest

    ==> Once you have the correct replacement battery, just pop it in
    place. Generally you'll have @ 5-15 minutes before you lose your CMOS
    settings. So, don't hurry yourself.

    --
    Phil