    and checked hardware and services and cannot
    figure it out. Any suggestions would be great.
    TIA

    eyeofmars, Nov 1, 2003

  2. From: "eyeofmars"
    Is this happening with two separate PCs, that are not on a network?

    Do they beep on POST?

    Power down and open them up.
    Make sure every thing is installed tight.
    Check memory, video card, and all cable connections inside and out, then
    power up and test.

    The cursor, blinking in the upper corner, tells me DOS or the OS (Command.com)
    is started, but not proceeding. Possible a corrupted kernnel.

    It is safe to turn off the machine, with blinking cursor, the machine is ready
    to shutdown.

    I hope this helps.

    :)

    - -- - -- - --
    -- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
    - -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -

    caveat lector - reader beware, Nov 1, 2003

  3. eyeofmars

    Trent© Guest

    Need more info...AT?...ATX?...OS?...etc.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 2, 2003
  4. eyeofmars

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    ( caveat lector - reader beware) wrote in

    Did you even read the original post at all? The machines go to a blinking
    cursor at shutdown. How the hell would the machine, startup, run fine and
    then hang at a blinking cursor if the hardware was loose, cables came off,
    or the OS was corrupted (it's spelled, kernel, btw, not kernnel)? If you
    lack this much reading comprehension, you should find a business that
    doesn't involve complex thought.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 2, 2003
  5. eyeofmars

    Trent© Guest

    But he DID put a smiley face at the end of all that important info!
    lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 2, 2003
  6. eyeofmars

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In
    | I have a couple client pc's that when they are shutdown they go to a
    | black screen with the cursor blinking in the top left hand corner.I
    | then need to restart them using the on/off button.I have downloaded
    | latest service packs and checked hardware and services and cannot
    | figure it out. Any suggestions would be great.
    | TIA

    Without knowing the exact operating system, one can only guess at the
    cause. Typical (in no particular order) are:

    Damaged windows exit sound files
    Incorrect or incompatible ACPI or APM settings
    A TSR which has failed to terminate, or another program which failed to
    close properly.
    Wrong settings in BIOS
    Incorrect video card settings.

    You might also try disabling fast shutdown.

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 2, 2003