Clever / safe ways to carry digicam batteries in pocket

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Veggie, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. Veggie

    Veggie Guest

    Digicam batteries nowadays seem to have the contacts on the same side,
    right on the surface. Bad mix for keys, coins, and other batteries in
    one's pocket or fanny pack. IMO, one or both of the contacts should be
    recessed way in.

    I use Canon NB-1L (Canon Powershot, IXUS, S410, S500, etc) and BP-511 /
    BP-512 (Canon ZR, Digital Rebel, etc). They come with a rather flat cap
    that seems to work well, but wonder if it will come off when knocked
    around in a pocket.

    I am looking for something that encloses the battery more positively.
    For example, a MiniDV cassette case holds one NB-1L. It could have
    actually fit *two* NB-1L's quite nicely, but won't close because of the
    way the cassette swings across the corners of the batteries. A MiniDV
    case that closes differently could work out for two batteries...

    Any other commonly available objects that can hold digicam batteries?

    Veggie, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Veggie

    Lionel Guest

    This exact question came up here about 6 months ago, IIRC. The most
    popular container is a small ziplock bag. My camera bag (a Lowe Pro Nova
    4) has small pockets that fit the Canon BP512s perfectly so I keep mine
    there, & my flashgun AA cells in ziplock bags.

    Lionel, Jun 23, 2004

  3. Veggie

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sure, a small baggie for each battery. I carry ONE CRV3 or two AA NIMH
    in the pocket with my handkerchief. Nothing else in the pocket.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 23, 2004
  4. Veggie

    wayne Guest

    You could try cutting the fingers off a pair of latex gloves or use the old
    universal tool a condom

    Wayne

    wayne, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Veggie

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    I have BP-111s and have not had any problems with the caps coming off.

    With my RCR-V3s, I carry the spares in a Ziploc sandwich bag: Cheap,
    lightwt and effective.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 23, 2004
  6. Veggie

    Frank ess Guest

    I'm not familiar with the size of your 'battery', but I lined a
    rectangular Altoids mint tin with foam-backed tape. It carries 6 AAs
    conveniently and securely.

    Frank ess, Jun 23, 2004
  7. Duct tape. Gaffer tape. Electrical tape. Heck, Scotch tape. What's a little
    residue?

    Phil Stripling, Jun 23, 2004
  8. The little plastic box from the travel size package of Q-Tips

    Lee Lindquist, Jun 23, 2004
  9. Veggie

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Potenitally damaging to the camera is what.

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 23, 2004
  10. Veggie

    RSD99 Guest

    Oh ... for crying out loud ... !

    Take a piece of tape ... any kind of tape ... for example common ordinary "Scotch Tape"
    .... and put it across the battery terminals.

    Then you can store them / carry them ANY DAMN WAY you want.

    Problem solved.

    RSD99, Jun 23, 2004
  11. Veggie

    Veggie Guest

    This sounds simple enough...

    but every try to remove scotch tape from a glossy surface, like a
    lithium battery pack? Besides the glue residue, scotch tape often
    splits. Now that would be useful, trying to remove a sliver of clear
    tape on a battery contact in the field.

    Veggie, Jun 24, 2004
  12. Veggie

    Bob Williams Guest

    I use a piece of Duct Tape.
    It is highly visible, tough as hell, won't tear when you remove it etc.
    It really works well.
    I've used this method for several years. NO Problems.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jun 24, 2004
  13. Veggie

    Frank ess Guest

    Endorsed by NASCAR and available in colors, for the fashion conscious.

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jun 24, 2004
  14. Veggie

    pjp Guest

    I use an old plastic battery container like the kind used in pc's, e.g. not
    the little silver flat battery but the 4 AA holder type usually velcrod to
    the side of the case. I stripped the connectors from it going cell to cell
    and use a rubber band to insure they don't fall out.

    pjp, Jun 24, 2004