Clearing IE History files once and for all

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ZZ, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. ZZ

    ZZ Guest

    MS has ignored the fact that it is VERY difficult to ensure that you
    have cleared all traces of your browsing history, despite clicking on
    the boxes MS has provided. They just don't clear it regardless of what
    they say. You end up d/l and using other programs to clear the history
    files.

    The one step solution is simple. Download the Mozilla firefox browser.
    If you set <TOOLS><OPTIONS><PRIVACY> and check clear all, it really
    does CLEAR ALL.

    I have tested this extensively and can say that it really does work.

    SO, use IE for most web browsing, and for those sites that you don't
    want anyone to know you go to, use Mozilla Firefox.

    Granted, it has some issues, but as far as clearing your web tracks,
    IT WORKS.

    ZZ, Jul 4, 2004

  2. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    Bullshit. Mozilla leaves traces, if you are that paranoid,
    just as any application does -- it's all there on your
    hard drive for forensics to find.

    °Mike°, Jul 4, 2004

  3. If you've got Mozilla installed, you have no need for IE anymore.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 5, 2004
  4. ZZ

    ZZ Guest

    It may leave traces, but at least the history file IS EMPTIED when you
    ask mozilla to do so, unlike IE. If I visit a site I don't want the
    casual user to know about mozilla does the job.

    ZZ, Jul 5, 2004
  5. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    The IE history is emptied when you ask it to. If yours
    does not, then you have a separate problem.
    So does IE. Anybody that says otherwise is either a rabid
    anti-Microsoft loon, a penguin pusher/preacher, believes every
    piece of negative information they hear, or are just plain too
    stupid to configure their system properly.

    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  6. ZZ

    Retiredff Guest

    But the index.dat history file does not. So, your IE history file is, but it
    isn't.

    Correct?

    Retiredff, Jul 5, 2004
  7. ZZ

    Me Guest

    I agree with the original poster. I have tested IE extensively with
    this issue, and IE does indeed FAIL to erase your History when you
    tell it to. EVEN ON A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS. It's partly why I
    also chose to dump IE and use Firefox instead.

    You say it's a separate problem, but I don't see how that can be if
    the problem occurs on a fresh install. Please explain how.

    Me, Jul 5, 2004
  8. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    As I said, "if you are that paranoid". The index.dat file is
    unreadable by the casual user, and gets overwritten as
    your browsing progresses, and the temporary internet
    files and history are cleaned, sites visited again, etc.

    The only people who complain about this issue are those
    that have something to hide, or those unfortunate enough
    and gullible enough to believe the scaremongering about so
    called "super hidden files".

    It is a non-issue for the majority of surfers, but seems to
    be a major issue for those who are terrified that somebody
    might actually find out what they have been viewing, or
    for those who take every opportunity to slam *any* Microsoft
    product -- I have no love for Microsoft products, generally,
    but I find this "index.dat" issue to be quite laughable.

    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  9. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    No, it doesn't.
    Not even on a four year old install, it doesn't.
    There's other reasons to do that, but this shouldn't be
    one of them; it's a red herring, *unless* you have
    something to hide from a forensic examination of
    your drive.
    As already stated, it does not.
    *If* the history does not get cleared when the 'Clear
    History' button is pressed, then the (un)likely cause is
    a damaged History folder, or index.dat file. But, of
    course, you and I both know that this is not the
    issue here -- see my reply to "Retiredff".

    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  10. ZZ

    Me Guest

    Let me explain: I install Windows on a freshly-formatted HD. I then
    connect to the net, surf a bit, then log off. I open IE's "Internet
    Options" and click the "Clear history" button. I then click the
    "History" button at the top of IE's window and my history of surfed
    sites is still there. Thus, it fails to erase my history, and you
    have no argument against these facts.

    Me, Jul 5, 2004
  11. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    That is because you are keeping your browser open whilst
    clearing the cache. Now do the same thing, but close your
    browser, either before or after you have cleared the cache.
    It WILL be gone, unless you have a problem with your
    History folder.
    No, it doesn't.
    I have no argument? Then what have I been doing?
    They are not facts, they are your interpretations.

    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  12. ZZ

    Me Guest

    cache.

    No I wasn't, and I never said that. I was clearing the history through
    "Internet Options" via the Control Panel, and it failed from there.
    Been there, done that; history remains. It seems, according to you, that
    the History folder has a problem right from a fresh Windows install. ;)

    Me, Jul 5, 2004
  13. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    You said: "I open IE's "Internet Options" and click the "Clear history" button."
    So which category are you, then?

    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  14. ZZ

    Me Guest

    Of course: IE's "Internet Options" are available at the Control Panel.
    Okay then. Since you aren't here to witness the event, you have no
    right to claim my story as bullshit, and it shows your character.

    Bye!

    Me, Jul 5, 2004
  15. ZZ

    Ionizer Guest

    I've just tried clearing my History folder three different ways in IE 6,
    and all three were successful. I tried doing it from the Control Panel as
    you describe, I tried emptying it from IE Tools|Options and then closing
    and re-opening IE, and finally I did it from IE Tools|Options but left IE
    open. In all three cases, when I then clicked on "History" within IE,
    there was nothing there any more.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Ionizer, Jul 5, 2004
  16. ZZ

    Me Guest

    I'm using IE v5.00 with W2K Pro (SP4) and it doesn't clear for me, so
    perhaps it's a bug in that version then. That would likely explain it.

    Me, Jul 5, 2004
  17. ZZ

    Ionizer Guest

    I just found something you may find interesting- you are apparently not
    alone. This page lists programs which can interfere with IE clearing its
    History folder: http://www.purgeie.com/lockhist.htm

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jul 5, 2004
  18. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    Yeah, right!
    I have *every* right to not believe what you are claiming,
    particularly since what you are claiming is pure fantasy.
    No stamina?

    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  19. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    Yeah, sure, blame another version, that has been used by
    millions, without problems, for many years.

    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  20. Richard McCann, Jul 5, 2004