Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sue Bilstein, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Sue Bilstein

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 17:23:14 +0100, Uncle StoatWarbler

    snip---
    Only more than twice as much power into the line.

    Brian Dooley, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Why did the last max box I had have a telepermit sticker on its side then?

    The telepermit spec is -12dBm, but older australian -10dBm modems are
    allowed under grandfather clauses.
    -9.5 to -9dBm

    Because the connection is digital at the connection point, that's an
    estimate - based on received signal strength compared with known -12dBm
    sources using a ZyXEL U1496S. (They come in at -24dBm or thereabouts.
    Xtra dialups come in around -20 to -21dBm)

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Mar 6, 2004

  3. Sue Bilstein

    colinco Guest

    Because an ISP could have its own max boxes not necessarily sourced from
    same people that supplied the Telecom network. A lot of Telecom stuff
    did have stickers as well.
    The current spec is -9dBm (same as US). My guess is that most modems on
    short lines have more difficulty with the dc in the loop overloading
    their little transformers or cooking their current sink transistors than
    the signal level.

    colinco, Mar 6, 2004
  4. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    Hello all, and thanks for the advice. I think I've worked out the nature of
    the problems.

    As well as the drops, I started getting a phenomenon where, usually mid-late
    evening, it was not possible to reconnect after dropping. The modem got
    dial-tone - crackly and hissy - then dialled, and then spent 5 minutes
    whooping and hollering. Then it would either fail "the computer you are
    dialling did not answer", or it would seem to establish a connection that in
    fact did not transmit any information. On one occasion this problem
    persisted through the evening and still prevented connection the following
    morning.

    This happened on both our phone lines, and when dialling both Clear and
    xtra. So that pointed the bone back at the modem.

    I bought a Dynalink 56K external modem (the $109 standard model, not the
    $349 rural one). I installed it yesterday, but kept the internal modem in
    place so I can compare the two.

    Using the internal modem in the early evening, I got dropped and then the
    hoot-and-holler phenom started up. So I switched to the external modem. I
    heard crackle on the dial tone, and it took a while to sync: the connection
    it made was not a real one - no data transfer. I tried again, and it
    established a working connection which lasted no trubs for another two
    hours.

    I may play the two modems off against each other some more, but I'm
    satisfied that the real problem is that the line quality to Maraetai is poor
    and intermittently really shitty: too bad for a $40 internal modem to
    function on.

    Sue Bilstein, Mar 6, 2004
  5. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    +MS=V34

    But I have worked out what the problem is - see post below.

    Sue Bilstein, Mar 6, 2004
  6. This is classic sign of a 1+1 analogue line multiplexor at work.

    (they have a small internal battery which tends to go flat on long calls and is
    recharged off exchange 48V low current feed)

    Have you tried using Telecom and/or Clear's faxrite services? These will
    fax you back a report on line conditions.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Mar 7, 2004
  7. Sue Bilstein

    Mainlander Guest

    that's the piggyback thing is it?

    I never noticed that problem before on a piggybacked line. But you cannot
    get 56K on them, only about 28 or 31.

    Mainlander, Mar 7, 2004