    I'm thinking the obvious pencil eraser would abrade off the gold
    or whatever the contacts are covered with and make any fix only
    temporary at best.

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 27, 2010

  2. Per Brian Cryer:
    I'm assuming the male Ethernet cable plugs are bad too - although
    I have not seen them. I'll just bring a couple more down with me
    when I re-install the device.

    Went to Radio Shack, layed out $15.00 for some magic goop that
    claims to reverse the corrosion process and it seems to have
    worked. *Muy* expensivo compared to just plain old CRC or
    whatever the other stuff is though.

    Still cheaper than $40-$50 for a replacement router - although
    barely if one figures man-hours are worth something.

    (PeteCresswell), Jul 2, 2010