    don't think this is it, as I used them in the beginning and had the same
    problem.

    Maria

    maria, Sep 23, 2005

  2. maria

    Jukka Aho Guest

    This piece of advice has worked well for me in the past:
    <http://www.weeno.com/art/0899/140.html>

    Here's a more involved method (which I have not tried myself):
    <http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/178>

    Additionally, you might want to try out the "SSC Service Utility", which
    allows resetting or freezing the ink counters, monitoring the ink
    levels, and has a smarter cleaning function than the built-in one in
    Epson drivers: <http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml>.

    Jukka Aho, Sep 23, 2005

  3. maria

    Stewy Guest

    Epson do not guarantee print quality with any other carts but their own.
    The ink is specially formulated to dry quickly.
    Epson sold you that printer at a loss, they know you'll spend a fortune
    forever more on their carts when you tire of trying alternatives.
    And each cart is chipped to make it impossible to use cheaper imported
    Epson carts from Japan.

    When you're ready to chuck the thing across the room, check up on Canon
    printers and save yourself big bucks in future

    Stewy, Sep 24, 2005
  4. maria

    Peter Guest

    No. At least not with the R800.

    If you're using el-cheapo ink, expect poor results. Especially
    with high-end pigment inks like the R800 uses.

    Also, are you using the printer's power switch to turn it off and
    on? Using a power strip, or otherwise bypassing the printer's
    own switch to turn it off will not allow the head seals to engage,
    resulting in constantly clogged heads.

    Also, did you read the instructions on your ink cartridges?
    You're supposed to give each one several good shakes
    right before installing them, to settle the ink.

    We've had our R800 for almost a year now and haven't had
    a single clog, even though it often goes for weeks between
    uses.

    Peter, Sep 24, 2005
  5. maria

    maria Guest

    Thanks to everyone for the answers. They are really helpful. I was using
    Jettec ink, which is something like £50 for all 8 cartridges. I even just
    ordered a new set!! I think I will send them back and see how things go
    with original cartidges.
    Thanks

    maria, Sep 25, 2005
  6. maria

    maria Guest

    The first method looks like you would end up using a huge amount of ink--
    15-20 cleanings would be an entire ink cartridge for me! (based on the
    amount of ink that goes when I just do three)

    The second method looks interesting, though involved as you say. I am
    going to start by replacing the cartridges with original Epson cartridges,
    but the ideas from everybody in the thread are very useful and I will see
    what works!

    thanks very much

    maria, Sep 25, 2005